Tired from long tones.

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by turtlejimmy, Aug 27, 2012.

1. kehaulani

kehaulani Fortissimo User

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    I don't know what level a player you are, but if you are an intermediate or better, did you use long tones in your developmental stages?

2. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Okay, just saw this and don't want to read 40+posts. It's the monotony of it all. Been there, stopped doing that (especially when holding a Committee!). Get thee hence and purchase a 3/8 Flexible PVC hose and attach a mpc (one of those $$$$$ Monettes will do :D) to one end and blow out the other. Only do this while driving! Really! The monotony will be lost in keeping your eyes on the road. 12 beats blow, 12 beats rest. Don't go for any records or you run the risk of blackout and crashing.You can also vary it up with arpeggios, etc.. I've gotten to where not doing it is distracting because I think I've lost my mpc.. An anxiety attack while driving is never good (that's the last 5S in the world!!).

OOPS!!! Forgot the length!! 8 1/2 - 10 feet should be fine (depending on the gap! ;-)).

Last edited: Sep 1, 2012
  3. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I say yes! :roll:

4. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon

:-o

You could get pulled over for that kind of behavior around here.

One time a few years back, I got pulled over on the freeway at 8 in the morning, on my way to work. My friend and co-worker Johnny and I were passing back and forth a Mate gourd, filled with Mate tea. If you've seen one of these, they have a short metal stem that sticks out, that you take the tea through, after pouring a little hot water into the gourd .... it's like a ritual. Johnny got it from time spent in Argentina, with his girlfriend. Anyway, it does look a little funny, passing it back and forth in the car .... :roll:

So, we got pulled over and the cop wanted to see what the heck we were passing back and forth. Johnny showed it to him and began explaining how it's used, it's history, etc. We were totally sober, on our way to work in the morning ... But the guy needed to be convinced. It was hard to keep from laughing. :lol:

Turtle

5. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I almost got picked up by some partying college girls (3!!! :shock:) who thought I had a hookah!!! They wanted a hit! I was clueless until I found out what a hookah was and it's usage!! Good thing I'm older and much wiser!! ;-)

6. sj3209

sj3209 Piano User

Nov 22, 2006
    Amador County, Calif.
    I never did them until recently when I experimented with them a bit. I found they resulted in some initial strenthening but also resulted in some inflexibility. My theory is that long tones get you good at playing that long tone. I tend to favor more of the Claude Gordon Systematic Approach type program.

7. Dupac

Dupac Fortissimo User

Aug 19, 2008
    Bordeaux, France.
    Repetition creates monotony and boredom. Thus learn doing circular breathing and play ONLY ONE long toooooooooooooooooooooooone…

You could also try didgeridoo : good for pedal long toooooooooooooooooooooooooones…

Last edited: Sep 1, 2012
  8. bumblebee

bumblebee Fortissimo User

Jan 21, 2010
    Great Southern Land
    It occurs to me it could be that you are unconsciously feeling guilty when you're not playing your Recording. Feeling tired? Who knows how your guilt manifests itself?

--bumblebee

9. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    :-?

I suppose that's possible ...

Turtle

bumblebee likes this.
  10. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    I am single -- and that has never happened to me (almost got picked up by 3 college girls) ---- sometimes my life is rather -- BORING!!!! but, I suppose it is much safer that way!!! ROFL ROFL ROFL