Tired of Trumpet Player Lips?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Scremindman, Mar 31, 2009.

1. Scremindman

Scremindman New Friend

Nov 21, 2008
    Norfolk, Va
    I came across an article that stated the use of toothpaste, can prevent, and cure discoloring of the lips. Apply a white toothpaste once a day evenly to your lips. Remove when toothpaste hardens. Results should be seen in a weeks time.

2. Publius_

Publius_ Banned

Jan 21, 2009
    ----
    I don't know I never had lip discoloration and I've been playing for quiet some time. Did this happen to you? I'm interested in this, anyone out there have discolored lips?

3. Scremindman

Scremindman New Friend

Nov 21, 2008
    Norfolk, Va
    yes i've had this problem on and off for a while now, and I don't use pressure when I play

4. Pedal C

Pedal C Mezzo Forte User

Jan 24, 2005
    Phil Smith calls it the Mark of the Beast. I'm proud of mine (and it doesn't take much pressure to leave a mark after years and years of practice)!

5. GoodMusic@PA

[email protected] Piano User

Aug 7, 2008
    I don't get discoloration but a lot of cold sores... maybe because I don't wash my mouthpiece as often as I should???

6. lmf

lmf Forte User

May 16, 2007
    Indiana USA
    You could switch to guitar and not have the lip problem, but many trumpet players think their "trumpet lips" look sexy. They wear those lips as a badge of honor.

Best wishes,

Lloyd

7. sinofian

sinofian Pianissimo User

Nov 17, 2008
    Central Florida
    Yeah, you can trade your discolored lips for nasty finger calluses :dontknow:

I've played the guitar for almost 30 years (even longer than the trumpet!) & my wife is always complaining that the finger tips on my left hand feel like sandpaper.

The only time I've noticed any change in my lips from playing was immediately following an especially taxing performance, btw.

8. SpiritDCI08

SpiritDCI08 Piano User

Feb 11, 2009
    Fort Campbell, KY
    I wonder...and I may be wrong.
    Are the discoloration of the lips the side effect of loss of circulation?
    Wouldn't soft low long tones and lip flaps help that out?
    I haven't experienced this problem before.
    But I do get that annoying side circle on my lips.

9. bobd0

bobd0 Piano User

Jan 10, 2009
    I play trumpet and guitar. I like my trumpet lips and my guitar fingers.

Toothpaste is for teeth. :lol:

10. SpiritDCI08

SpiritDCI08 Piano User

Feb 11, 2009
    Fort Campbell, KY
    Surprising it works for acne too!!! A friend told me to apply colgate thinly to a pimple after washing my face and go to bed with it on. It works like a dream, and leaves your face smelling minty. :D The toothpaste absorbs the oils and dries the pimple out. Another friend told me to use a raw egg, but I'm less willing to try that. :dontknow: