Tiring Too Quickly

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Trumpetplayer24, Jul 14, 2013.

1. Trumpetplayer24

Trumpetplayer24 Pianissimo User

Apr 3, 2013
    UK
    I have been playing the trumpet from 10 years now and have been practising for about 2 hours a day for the last 3 months. I always begin with a 10-15 minute warm up and usually will rest for the same amount of time before starting any pieces. My warm up consists of long tones, lots of lip slurs, scales and tonguing. I always find that even though I have warmed up, I struggle to play a piece through more that once without tiring and needing to stop for a while. When I have lessons I find that I am able to play for longer. Am I doing something wrong when I practise and how can I improve this?

2. 9horn

9horn Pianissimo User

Feb 25, 2009
    New York
    Just went through this myself and am still working on it. With me the main problem was taking in too much air at each breath. Check to see if you are not exhaling some bad air before you inhale your air during playing. Also I was in the habit of curling my upper lip in too much which pinched the notes, check for full sound while playing. :-)

3. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    When you say tiring, are you meaning you are starting to loose accuracy or are you becoming short winded? Defining what you mean by tiring may help some of us hear try to figure out exactly what is going on.

4. Trumpetplayer24

Apr 3, 2013
    UK
    It becomes harder to get notes to come out and I split notes very easily. Higher notes are especially hard to play, even though I have a very good high range. My lips just feel awfully tired and my I lose my nice tone.

5. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    In general, this seems to be an endurance issue. With the variance in dental configuration, some lip curling under teeth is common with those who have shorter frontal incisors. I too now can feel my lip with my tongue when relaxed and my teeth are slightly apart. My full upper denture is a bit shorter than were my natural teeth, but I've accommodated the change.

6. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    That is what I thought. You are showing signs of lip strain, and you will never build on strained lips, no matter how hard you practice. That would be like telling a 5K racer who sprained an ankle to go ahead and try a marathon run the next day. Muscle is muscle, whether it is lip or ankle, and if you keep working on strained muscle, damage is not far behind. You are working too hard. And when you get to this point, it is time to cut back (actually in your case, past time). So I have the following recommendations:

First cut back to half your current practice time, and work through a comfortable excise until you can do this exercise with good accuracy consistently for a week. Then add time to your practice with this exercise routine by increasing practice time by 20% each week. Once you get to the time you wish to devote to advancing skills (1.5 hours is realistic) THEN start adding gradually a more demanding exercise routine to your practice AND you WILL BE successful.

7. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    The lack of endurance can arise from a number of factors. Most common is a lack of air rather than too much. What are the acoustical differences between the place where you practice and the place you take your lessons? Which is bigger? Which is more "live?" Are you playing the same amount in lessons as when practicing? What are you doing differently in lessons? Analyze all possible differences between practice and lessons, and let us know what they are.

8. Trumpetplayer24

Apr 3, 2013
    UK
    Thank you - this is really helpful :)

9. Trumpetplayer24

Apr 3, 2013
    UK
    I practise in that same place I have lessons. In lessons I have more breaks between playing as my teacher talks or demonstrates things, so I was thinking that I need to probably take more breaks during practise sessions.

10. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Glad to be of help. Your symptoms are very suggestive of this and as a diagnostician, I think we are on the right track. Don't give Vulgano Brother too hard of I time, I know it's a challenge, but I think he is teachable. I hope to have him whipped into shape in about a year or two.:-P