Tiring Too Quickly

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Trumpetplayer24, Jul 14, 2013.

1. SteRock

SteRock New Friend

Nov 3, 2011
    Hey, I am experiencing a similar issue. Since I have increased my practise from every two or 3 days to everyday I find that after about 40 minutes my lips are really tired and I find it hard when I am playing a piece to hit F's and G's and anything above. If I stop for a few seconds and then continue I am fine but very quickly my lips will be tired again so it's difficult to get through a piece from start to finish without stopping several times.

I play with several amateur Orchestra's but they are all on a break for the summer.

My practice is very inconsistent and I will generally play pieces at random. I don't really warm up properly and I suppose if I'm honest I don't know what a proper warm up should consist of. Currently I am learning Carnival of Venice, Fantasia Brilliante and Haydn's Trumpet Concerto in Eb. I am also experimenting with different mouthpieces. My favourite is my Schilke
    14A4a and I also play with a Bach 7C. I recently purchased a Bach 7E. I also like to practise on my 2 Bb's, a C and an Eb in the same session. It is basically all over the place so if there is any advice in how I should structure my practice routine then the issue above might solve itself over time.

2. Branson

Branson Piano User

Jan 16, 2011
    We all generally push ourselves more when we have someone with us.

That's why it helps to play in an ensembles.

Playing duets is a very good way to push yourself.

3. Hugh Anderson

Hugh Anderson Pianissimo User

Sep 18, 2011
    In your lesson do you warm up as much? Lip slurs are killers if done even 30 seconds too long.

4. Trumpetplayer24

Trumpetplayer24 Pianissimo User

Apr 3, 2013
    UK
    I ended not being able to practise for a day last week because I didn't have time. This was the first time in 3 months that I had gone without playing and I actually think it did the world of good. I'm still practising for 2-3 hours a day and can say that after taking a day off my endurance is much better and I can play for much longer. I think my lips just needed a rest!

5. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    I did the 3 hour a day thing -- for the first few years of my comeback -- now that I am approaching 5 years on the comeback, I am "learning" what my body/lips can take and what they can't. So for 3 years, I DID NOT take any days off!!! --- now, with a little hindsight, I take a day off every now and then -- "when my mind is not geared toward practicing the horns" --- or I "take it easy, and do a 30 or 45 minute EASY practice. in any case -- REST always helps me play better, and have a little more endurance ------------------------it's just difficult to discipline myself to STOP - LOOK - LISTEN (oh wait a minute, that is when crossing a Railroad Track) ROFL ROFL ROFL

6. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Unless, you are walking and not plugged into your I-phone, Walkman, etc. it is doubtful you'd hear a train approach until it was visible when riding in most vehicles. Here in NC, not all RR crossing have gates, but they do have signs on the approach and flashing lights at the crossing. Still, as far as I know, only school buses are required by Law to come to a complete stop at an RR crossing. Now back to the thread, I've backed off my 30 minute "lip" and 15 minute rest, to the same regimen I enforce with students of 20 minutes "lip" alternating with 20 minutes rest. It could be just a seasonal change. I'll let you figure the math of how long by the clock it takes for me to attain 2 hours of actual "lip time while practicing on a daily basis.

7. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    No I am not sure they needed a rest as much as the needed to recover. For you 2-3 hours may be too much, especially if done at one sit down session. Spaced out with a 4-6 hour break in between may be a different story. Fatigue will set you back, appropriate rest will set you free.