TL1

Discussion in 'Horns' started by nowherenearadouble, May 16, 2004.

1. nowherenearadouble

nowherenearadouble Pianissimo User

Nov 12, 2003
    Scotland
    What is everyones experiance with the 21 or TL1 models?
    Alan

2. Bruce Lee

Bruce Lee Piano User

Oct 24, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Hi, Alan!

Well, as a Lawler Dealer, I've been a little spoiled, but here goes. I had a 21B-1A - LS model, a few years ago. I loved the way that horn felt, and played! When the LT models came out, the 26BL-1A "grabbed me", and I played it for quite a while. I think that Roy's latest, the TL6R-1A is a very nice combination of the TL1 body, with a TL6 bell. However, the TL1 bell definitely has a more "traditional" sound, in that the bell taper is much like the Bach 37 bell. In fact, I think that it has a better "Bach sound" than the Bach! :lol:

Basically, it boils down to what your playing needs are, and how closely your trumpet matches your sound concept, and provides the right "feel", or balance for you. I think that many people end up "chasing a sound"... trying mouthpiece after mouthpiece, and horn after horn, with reckless abandon. For people that can afford more than one horn... GREAT! ... Buy one of each!!! The rest of us need to find the best all-around trumpet to meet their playing situations. For many people, that will be the TL1 model. For years, it was Roy's number one seller. Lately, I think that the fascination with all of the vintage horns has changed that. Having said that, I think that we'll always see a "classic" like the TL1 ever-present, within the Lawler models offered.

Best always,
    Bruce

3. bkmdano

bkmdano New Friend

Nov 13, 2003
    Bruce,

That's why I had my TL6r-1a made into an sts version. Even though I use the 6r bell 80% of the time. I'll change to the 24 bell for a little brighter sound. The 24 bell was the predecessor to the 21 or 1 bell. I plan on adding a 5r bell next year. It's like having 3 different trumpets in one. I also think the sts give the trumpet more response and will allow the trumpet to kick into a higher gear when pushed.

4. Mikester

Mikester New Friend

Nov 9, 2003
    MI
    21B

Bruce is right about the TL1 body on the TL6r. It is a nice combination.

I had to baby-sit one of Bruce's 21B-1a's after a trumpet-fest in MI. It arrived one day too late. So, I bared the burden for my friend, Bruce. I liked it so much, took it to a recording session that night. Recorded "Jump, Jive, and Wail" with it. Turned out nice (IMHO).

About a year later, I bought a used 21B-1a. It was a very nimble horn; great for section, solo, and small group. At the time, I need a little more carrying power.

Really enjoy Lawler's. After owning 4 other Lawlers, today I recieved my first one built for me. TL5-1a in raw brass.

I'm a big Lawler fan!

Mike
    www.bigbandofpraise.com

5. sparxIII

sparxIII New Friend

Nov 1, 2003
    Toronto ON Canada
    TL 1

Alan,

If you are looking for a T 1, I have a 'demo' in gold plate.
    This horn was has never been on a gig. ......... It's as new!

Cheers,
    Ted