TL5

Discussion in 'Horns' started by nowherenearadouble, May 25, 2004.

1. nowherenearadouble

nowherenearadouble Pianissimo User

Nov 12, 2003
    Scotland
    Has anyone else played a TL5?
    I have a TL5r and love it!
    (Not many people seem to post about it though, most post abot the TL6 series.)
    Alan

2. bkmdano

bkmdano New Friend

Nov 13, 2003
    Alan,

Tell me about the sound you get from the 5r bell. I'm thinking about having the 5r fit to my TL6r sts.

3. nowherenearadouble

Nov 12, 2003
    Scotland
    Hey Dan!

As you know I have never played a TL6r :cry: . I do have a Lawler Committee though :D . Lets asume they sound similar!
    The initial impression is that the TL5r doesnt behave like a traditional "lead" trumpet. (I hate that term!) It has a more fluid sound and less "cut".
    The Committee retains a more mellow sound in the upper register where as the TL5 becomes more lively.
    As for a general sound picture of the TL5r I would refer to Larry Giannis excellent thread on the east v west sound. The TL5r is most defintely east, now the TL7...
    That review will come soon!
    Hope that helped!
    Alan

4. bkmdano

bkmdano New Friend

Nov 13, 2003
    That's some post. very interesting. It's also interesting to hear the 5r bell compared to the east coast sound. What is the TL 7? I guess I better talk to Roy soon. He's getting ahead of me on his products.

5. nowherenearadouble

Nov 12, 2003
    Scotland
    The TL7 is Roys version of a flamethrower :lol:
    It is more lively and "outreaching".
    Alan

6. hose

hose Pianissimo User

Oct 31, 2003
    Orlando FL
    I have both the TL6 and TL5 with 1A lead pipes (neither are R's). From in back of the horn, the 5 has a broader, richer sound. The 6 feels more direct. The higher register (above B) is easier for me with the 5. I bought the TL5 for a backup. When fitted with the Warburton Q backbore, it became my main horn. It's the most fun horn I have ever played. It is also easier for me to play in tune and, of course, the Lawler response on both horns is wonderful. I have not compared them with someone listening out front in an auditorium, but from the mouthpice end, I hear the 5 cutting through more than the 6 when I lean on it. And it DOES cut through! As I am writting this, I'm thinking, I need to have someone listen to both from a distance in a large room.

7. nowherenearadouble

Nov 12, 2003
    Scotland
    I guess the red brass bell will take the edge off it though.
    You are right about the intonation though. It has to be among the best out there.
    Definitely an underrated horn.
    Alan