TM Homework assignment, PART II

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Manny Laureano, Apr 16, 2007.

1. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Okay,

We all have our Arban cadenzas (page 152) at hand because we've made copies of the page.

Now open up the Art of Phrasing. Find one of the longer arias that include fermate anywhere in the song. For example, go to p.213 and find #76, Romeo. Look at the third line, third measure. See the fermata over the C resolving to the F? Okay, now go to your copy of cadenze that you have at the ready.

You can now choose one of those to use in the aria so long as it's in F major. The piece happens to be in Bb major but the point at which the cadence occurs is in the Dominant, so, F major.

So, play the aria from Romeo and when you get to the cadence play the cadenza that you like best that starts on C and ends on F and you have a dandy, brief piece to play for Uncle Ed when he comes to visit. You also have a nice piece to play as part of an audition you might take.

Remember that Arban, at the beginning of the section, advises us to transpose any of these cadenzas to use wherever we like. It's fun to match up these songs with cadenzas and makes them still more interesting. Arban advises us to memorize them, as well. How impressive would it be to play one of these arias or any other, get to a cadence, and pull out a cadenza you've memorized to finish it off? That's what Arban intended when he put the book together. He wanted cornetists to be able to be as facile as any singer or fine instrumentalist of the day by having stuff like this they could pull out of a hat.

Now, for the more advanced players: do all of that but using an Eb trumpet! That'll build a little chop if you do three or four of those puppies in a practice session.

Okay, get to work!

ML

2. Manny Laureano

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    So...? How's it going?

ML

3. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Pretty good, I guess. Thanks for asking. How are you? :dontknow:

4. tpter1

tpter1 Forte User

Jan 12, 2005
    Northern New York
    Manny- I wasted myself on # 46 and 47 in the articulation studies followed by Ravel Piano Concerto this morning then a trip to the ER for my son :-( ...I'll give it a shot tomorrow.

5. Stile442

Stile442 Piano User

Mar 26, 2007
    Deland Fl
    I think its alot of fun so far, but my brain is starting to ache. Maybe thats from my piano proficency in two days though :) I like how it enables us to choose a different ending point if we only have a certain amount of time.

6. tpter1

tpter1 Forte User

Jan 12, 2005
    Northern New York
    :D THAT was alot of fun! I tried it with Anna Bolena and thhe first line cadenza. Instead of playing the written cadenza that begins on a G, I skipped back and played the other instead, then played the regular ending.

7. trumpetgeek01

trumpetgeek01 New Friend

Apr 3, 2007
    Roanoke Virginia
    That is some fantastic advice!! I will surely take this to heart. I like putting stuff together and just randomly going through the Arbans book and just playing around. This will have me thinking about how I can put things together. Thanks!

Alexandria

8. TheRiddler

TheRiddler Pianissimo User

Oct 8, 2006
    USA
    hahaha... Im gonna clown some rookies on this tomorrow at school. Thanks for the cool advice.

9. Manny Laureano

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Excellent!

ML