TM member sound clips?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by RichJ, May 10, 2010.

1. trumpetlover2001

trumpetlover2001 New Friend

Jul 5, 2011
    Thanks lot! I wonder if he is one of the only few players who have this sound. The reason I am asking is I watched recitals and the other players don't seem to have this problem.

2. BigDub

BigDub Fortissimo User

Dec 19, 2009
    Hillsborough, NJ
    I was going to say your son is doing fine for how long he's been playing. Almost everybody sounds like that after a year's time. He seems to have good technique already. It all depends on how hard he wants to work at it. It will come along in time!
    good work so far!

3. mtbevins

mtbevins Pianissimo User

Jan 18, 2011
    Phoenix, Arizona
    Thanks! :) I have to say I very much like my new mouthpiece Monette B6LDS1. I have had it since Feb and I think it has helped darken up my tone. It is the first heavy blank mouthpiece I have owned. Maybe the Bach Megatone would have the same effect?

4. RichJ

RichJ Piano User

Jan 16, 2008
    Northern Virginia
    Kate, I think your son is doing great! You mentioned that he has been playing for about a year. That's not long at all for him to have the rhythmic skills, poise and timing that he is already showing. His tone will come through developing his ear and breathing. Mouthpiece choice is also important, but his teacher should be in charge of those decisions. As long as he is regularly hearing good players on recordings and in live performances, he will develop a good concept of sound and in time that will come out the bell. You should be very proud of him. Trumpet is a difficult instrument to pick up quickly. He's off to a really good start.

5. mtbevins

mtbevins Pianissimo User

Jan 18, 2011
    Phoenix, Arizona
    I agree with RichJ. This kid is doing great for only playing for 1 year. I know I was no where near this kids ability to count and play with accompaniment after 1 year. You should be very proud of him. His tone will come with practice and time. Some kids have good tone early but lack the ability to read music or the concept of rhythm. Just as every kids development is individual, so is true for musicians. Keep him in lessons and keep him motivated and interested and the rest will come. Have him listen to some of the masters and you will find he will emulate. My favorite listening is Maurice Andre. I listen to this CD daily: EMI Classics - Baroque Trumpet Concertos - Release Details

Good luck,

Todd

6. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    wow.. I really enjoyed that .. your son really has alot of great things going for him.
    The tone is a combination of a few things ... some of it just has to do with relaxing. If you notice on some of his legato slurs his tone opens right up .. proably because they are just fun to play. As his chops strength builds up and his lungs become stronger it will be easier for him to relax and let the tone flow.
    If your trumpet teacher is looking for suggestions this is what my trumpet teacher had me do... played page 125 of the Arban's book ( too advanced for your son at this time) very staccato into my music stand and told me to listen to my attack... something he might want to try a modified version of. They built of my embrouchure and my wind.. I would get very winded doing this .... but this is between you and the music teacher please.
    Thanks for posting... great kid

7. trumpetlover2001

trumpetlover2001 New Friend

Jul 5, 2011
    Thanks to you guys for your kind encouragement and your advise! I will let my son read your great posts. He can count and read because he has played piano for 3.5 years. Otherwise he won't be able to get this far in almost a year.

Trumpet is a very hard instrument, I always heard that it is very popular, but still none of my friends know it at all. Particularly because not many Asians play brass instruments. It is great to know this place so I will come here often to seek suggestions.

8. dkrice

dkrice Pianissimo User

May 20, 2011
  9. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
  10. dkrice

dkrice Pianissimo User

May 20, 2011
    Kristi the drum major? She wasn't much taller than 5'. Compared to me, everyone is short. I'm 6'5".