TM member sound clips?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by RichJ, May 10, 2010.

1. RichJ

RichJ Piano User

Jan 16, 2008
    Northern Virginia
    These are great! More! More!

I hope that some other amateur hacks like myself also post up.

2. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    Nice work Guy!, Sounds good!

Patrick, I enjoyed that back when I first heard it and I put it on my hard drive rotation, so I hear it often while on the computer.

Tasty, sound!

3. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    I'll add one, in the spirit of being a fellow "amateur hack". It was recorded last summer, about 6 months into my comeback. I was playing my Getzen 4-valve Eterna flugelhorn.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TvzV5gCZPZw

Last edited: May 11, 2010
  4. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    I think that it's one of those things where trumpet players tend to be very critical of playing unless it sounds like one of the named pros, and we don't want to open ourselves up to that kind of scrutiny.

I've got a couple of other things I have recorded recently, but the project wasn't really mine, and I'm not sure it would be appropriate to post up something that is going on someone else's album (little Indie thing - nothing big) before it actually got "released" to the public.

5. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    TrumpetMD,

NICE!

6. The Dutch Guy

The Dutch Guy Piano User

Sep 22, 2008
    Netherlands
    I recorded this with a 30 year old microphone my dad had lying around, and Audacity some months ago.
    It's 4 parts from the piece 'let me try again'. It misses some parts that I didn't have, or were written for other instruments ect.

Note that the volume changes sometimes, mostly because I was moving and accidently increasing or decreasing the distance from the horn to the microphone.

YouTube - "Let me try Again" on Trumpet

7. Jay-Eye

Jay-Eye New Friend

Apr 15, 2010
    Sunny Birmingham, UK
    Yep! Very nice.

8. rettepnoj

rettepnoj Fortissimo User

Feb 22, 2009
    Norway
    Ahhh, this is me, 2002, loooong time ago, when all that mattered was to play fast....hahaha...pretty funny!! The tune is Sandunga!
    Playing on my Schilke S32 with Laskey 65ES mouthpiece..

YouTube- Jon Petters little solo - Live

Last edited: May 13, 2010
  9. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Dude, that's off the frickin chain! Nice! You were playing really fast, but it totally fit the tune.

10. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    That was really nice Chuck.

Sorry I'm responding to all of these today - I wasn't in a place where I could really listen to them yesterday.

I did a two-part Telemann canonic sonata a year or so ago, but the mic I used was a really cheap, USB mic that came with my kids' Guitar Hero World Tour. One of the things I have noticed about doing multi-horn recording is that it's a lot more difficult to get the parts to lock than I would have anticipated, and of course the recording by itself presents its own challenges. One of the problems I had using the Blue Icicle XLR to USB converter is that I didn't have a lot of headroom for gain control, so I had a pretty small area where I could record and get enough volume without clipping. On the flugel thing I posted above I actually recorded that twice - once to figure out what I was doing, and then the second time where I thought I had it. Unfortunately, I had a bit of clipping on my louds on the second one, but I was able to do some strategic copy/paste work in two places where I snipped parts from the first version and was able to get them to lay in fairly seamlessly in the second.

I love doing recording projects though - there is nothing like the pressure of getting it right added with the instant feedback to hear what you really played to tighten your playing up. It's humbling, but good for me nonetheless.