TM member sound clips?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by RichJ, May 10, 2010.

1. dcombust

dcombust New Friend

Sep 21, 2011
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Thanks gmonady, I appreciate you saying that...made my day!

2. dcombust

dcombust New Friend

Sep 21, 2011
    Huntington Beach, CA

Thanks Dale!

3. trumpetdiva1

trumpetdiva1 Piano User

Jun 6, 2004
    Albuquerque
    I recently performed the II. Ballad movement (on Flugelhorn) of William Perry's “Concerto for Trumpet and Orchestra” at my church in New York City with Katie Reimer, a Carnegie Hall pianist...This is the second time I received a standing ovation in performing this movement...

Please feel free to listen to this performance on YouTube.

William Perry's "Concerto for Trumpet and Orchestra" - II (ballad) - http://youtu.be/O46xqOyqCxE

It is an exceptionally high-quality piece.

Thanks for listening friends...

Janell (Jan) Carter

---
    ---

4. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    RE20 - that's a mic that doesn't get talked about too much for trumpet, but it was clearly a great choice for it. I've done a bit of recording on Shure's answer to the RE20 - the SM7B. This is something I threw together one night for a friend of mine - basically, it's the solo section out of a tune we did in HS jazz band.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Xy55nhYwE8

I've been busy to the point where I haven't done much in the home studio lately. Gotta change that.

5. dcombust

dcombust New Friend

Sep 21, 2011
    Huntington Beach, CA
    I've been really happy with the RE20. I use it live each week in a church worship band. I've also used it on a couple of top 40 gigs with a rock band. I've never used the SM7B, but you sounded great on it.

Rich

6. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Hard to go wrong with an RE20 - one day I'd like to have one in my modest mic collection. A little google-fu shows that they are pretty versatile, and when I was initially looking for a good all-purpose dynamic mic, it was on the list. The Shure won out because I know a guy who knows a Shure rep, and I got mine for 50% of list plus shipping, (something like $226 total) which is a pretty ridiculous cost for that mic.

I've recently picked up a Cloudlifter from Cloud Microphones - a neat little piece of gear that adds about 25 db of clean gain via phantom power to dynamic and ribbon mics. In retrospect, I probably had enough gain to drive the SM7B with my Focusrite Saffire Pro 40 interface preamps, but the Cloudlifter gives me a bit more headroom without maxing out my gain knob for vocals - with trumpet I had more than enough gain.

7. olbrneyes

olbrneyes Pianissimo User

Mar 12, 2007
    Portland, OR
  8. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Nice sound. How long were you off the horn before you came back to it. Just curious - I've had a couple of stints where I really didn't play for a year or so - probably closer to 18 months each time. In each instance, it probably took 3-5 months before my chops started to feel right again. These days it's kind of a tossup. Some days I feel like I'm as good as I ever was, and some days I'm just not happy at all with how I sound - too many chipped notes and other accuracy issues, range issues, etc.

There's nothing like a recording to let you know what you need to work on though. Recently I've gotten a number of MP3s from the bandleader who has done some basic mixes of live gig tunes, and it's a nice expose' to what's actually going on - where I am in the pocket, where I am with intonation with the ensemble, am I locking up with the sax player, etc.

Thanks for posting that.

9. trumpetdiva1

trumpetdiva1 Piano User

Jun 6, 2004
    Albuquerque
    Thanks for the compliment...I've been off the trumpet for eight years. It's been in stints...I was fortunate to have a trumpet lesson with Laurie Frink in NYC after several months in this comeback and study with Jon Crowley in Brooklyn, NY...My last four solo performances at the church were all standing ovations. Recently, I've played at the People's Climate March with other trumpet players. Roy Hargrove was the musical director and composer.

That is great that you have recordings of yours to listen to! We can all learn from recordings. I continue to work on intonation...I worked on recording projects at the Bunker Studio in Brooklyn, NY and have MP3's on lead trumpet (Buddy Rich's Love for Sale) and baroque piccolo trumpet (Michael Haydn's Concerto for Trumpet - II - Allegro)...

Best wishes!

Janell

---
    Janell Carter : Trumpet Corner
    ---

10. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    I got into using recordings of my playing as a teaching tool mainly when I started drumming back in 2003. I got into drumming by playing drums in a praise band, and the church used to do a recording of the raw feed from the mixing board. I was pretty disappointed with the first one I got because it exposed a lot of things that I didn't even realize I was doing. I'd take those recordings and really pick them apart to find out what I was doing right just as much as to find the things I needed to improve upon. Even with that though, it was a good 5 years before I got to a point where I could listen to a service I'd played and not cringe at some of what I was hearing. Of course live in the room it probably wasn't that bad, but my goal was always to try and sound as professional and polished as possible. This is a couple of years old, but it's a recording I'm pretty happy with. Don't let how easy it sounds fool you - being a good drummer is not nearly as easy as non-drummers think it is.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rUlKFlXgvAc