TM member sound clips?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by RichJ, May 10, 2010.

1. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    I'd like to take all the credit, but all I did was record and mix two flugelhorn parts with a backing track a friend of mine put together, and I did it with a pretty modest setup - an SM57, a Blue Icicle XLR/USB converter, and GarageBand on my iMac. I imported the backing track file, created two other instrumental tracks, and got to work putting them down. Setting levels and mixing were challenging. When I did this I didn't really know much about volume automation and that kind of thing so dynamics all had to come from me. As for the arrangement, I really only had the one part, even though it's written for two parts, so I kind of made certain things up as I went, and that was what it wound up being in the end.

Here's another thing I did that is based on something we used to play at the Old Guard Fife and Drum - a tune called "Frog Legs." I recorded all tracks, to include the snare drum and bass drum with the same SM57 and using Garage Band, but the interface was my Focusrite Saffire Pro 40. It's a total of 6 tracks - 4 tracks of trumpet, mostly two parts but with a few 4 part splits, and a snare and bass drum track. I recorded the bass drum by sitting on my drum kit bass, leaning over it and playing it with a couple of felt mallets. :D I think I put that whole thing together in an hour or so one night and the trumpet parts were easier to do than the drum parts because the drum parts were kind of made up on the fly, so getting a single cohesive take that sound right with the trumpet parts was a touch tricky.

YouTube - Frog Legs With Drums

Last edited: Mar 23, 2011
  2. schleiman

schleiman Piano User

May 12, 2010
    Austin, TX
    Ya man, nice sound! That band is smokin'. And the guitar player is fantastic as well.

3. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Ed - what were the mics that were used in the video posted from the church?

4. BigDub

BigDub Fortissimo User

Dec 19, 2009
    Hillsborough, NJ
    WOW, that was very clean and great to listen to. I'll have to get some tips how to do something that I have in mind too., I doubt it will sound that good though. Really enjoyed that one.

5. Kujo20

Kujo20 Forte User

Sep 29, 2010
    EC, I LOVED the recording of "Never Give Up The Baseline"!! Very cool! It reminded me a bit of Varese's "Poeme Electronique" (there's supposed to be some accents in that title...)

trickg: How do you put those videos together? Do you just record the song on each instrument and then just re-dub them over each other? (with the backing stuff)

Kujo

6. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    JP... +1 on your sound... very cool

7. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    trickg..nice.... that really sounds good ... and in one night...impressive

8. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    I appreciate the compliment - thanks! As for the time frame for the project, I'd already been fiddling with a couple of other things (still have a 4-part Scheidt Canzona that I'm working on that didn't come together quite so easily - I need to get back to that at some point) so my mic level was already set, and it's something that I already knew. The drum parts are just basic rudimental drumming things, so it was really just a matter of getting the clean takes and doing some basic mixing.

I think that a lot of people get scared of recording in general, but with some of the tools available to the average person these days, a lot of guesswork is taken out of it, so that on top of doing some reading about use of compression, reverb and EQ (and there is a TON of stuff online for that) and people can do some decent stuff at home without spending wads of cash.

9. BigDub

BigDub Fortissimo User

Dec 19, 2009
    Hillsborough, NJ
  10. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    This has always been in my signature:

Joe Spitzer Trumpet

Audio

Most of it recorded in my basement with Music Minus One