TM member sound clips?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by RichJ, May 10, 2010.

1. Richard Oliver

Richard Oliver Forte User

Jul 18, 2006
    Casper, WY
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2011
  2. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    Joe, always a pleasure to hear your playing!

3. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    What great sound on the Arutuinian Concerto Joe ...
    what pic are you using on the Albinoni Concerto?

4. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Here's something else I put together and this was pretty much my first project. I started this when a guy on a drummer's forum was looking for a trumpet player and my name got tossed into the thread.

The gist is, it was a project being put together by a bunch of remote musicians, all recording stuff and sending it to one guy to put together and mix. He sent me the rough mixed track plus two midi trumpet tracks and asked me to record those, but he also said to do whatever I felt might sound good as long as he got the two tracks. This was the project where I got the SM57 and the Blue Icicle.

So, I recorded the two tracks, doubled those up an octave, doubled the lowest track on flugel to give it some depth, and then later added 3 more tracks to fill out a cascading thing I decided to try (comes in at 3:29) and to do some other lead-type stuff. I don't know how much he wound up using because I never heard a finished mix - this is my own mix that I kind of threw together after the fact. My apologies on that last note - it goes pretty sharp and I should have faded it out sooner, but again, at this stage of the game when it came to recording, I didn't know how to do too much of that so what you hear is what it is for the most part.

Note - trumpet parts don't come in until about 1:33.
    YouTube - Rock Trumpet Project

Last edited: Mar 26, 2011
  5. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Richard, are you serious? You are doing some solid playing in that clip - nice full, supported sound and clean articulations and flexibilities. Call it what you want, but that's not hack playing in my book!

6. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    trickg ... that was fun!!

7. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    There certainly wasn't anything difficult going on in that, at least not with the parts he initially wanted me to record, but it was a lot of fun. The parts he had where I did that cascading thing were just footballs - 8 beats per note to fill out the chord. The cascading thing probably isn't well written, but it was an idea that I wanted to experiement with to give that section of the song some motion and color. I should touch base with him to see if he ever mixed it to see what he used from what I sent him.

8. Richard Oliver

Richard Oliver Forte User

Jul 18, 2006
    Casper, WY
    Thanks Patrick :D And good sounds on your Rock Trumpet Project!! Tried playing along a tad. Thanks for posting.

9. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    Thank you all for the complements. I recorded those things a while ago. It's hard to remember because I switched pics. right around then. I think it was on my Selmer with Blackburn pipe. You can hear a spot where the note came out way out of tune and I lipped it back.

10. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Hey - I just got a chance to listen to some of this. Really nice stuff. Recording to Music Minus One can be tough because often times the base recording wasn't done to any kind of regular meter/metronome, and it leaves the person trying to play to it wondering just where in the heck it's going to go. Even on things like the Vivaldi Concerto for two trumpets. I can't imagine tackling a piece like the Arutunian with Music Minus One.

If you don't mind my asking, what mic did you use, and what other effects did you apply to get it to sound like you right in the hall with the recording?