TM member sound clips?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by RichJ, May 10, 2010.

1. schleiman

schleiman Piano User

May 12, 2010
    Austin, TX
    Really beautiful playing.

2. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    Thanks for the complement.
    Recording to the Music Minus One takes a long time. I had to play along a lot to get used to what the accompaniment would do.

The Arutunian wasn't recorded in my basement. I tried really hard but I couldn't pull it off. The hardest part is coming back in time at the end of the cadenza. If I can find the CD with this on it, I change it for the short version on the site now. On other recordings with a cadenza, I would time the silence and the when recording watch the second hand as I played. I don't have a way of editing so every time I came in wrong the recording was ruined.

The Arutunian was recorded at the music store near my house where my daughter took guitar lessons. It was done in a home made recording studio onto a computer. The guy told me that it was a high end mike. I don't know what kind.

We recorded it during her lesson with other parents hanging around. I could hear the lessons going on while I was playing. I don't know how it didn't come out on the recording. I could see and hear little kids laughing and running around. The music store guy was the engineer. He put the band part on the computer first and then we recorded each section. He had a way of letting me start where or when I wanted. The only thing that was popped in was the cadenza. I didn't have to watch a clock. I just played and he adjusted the recording so the band came in when I was done. I told him not to mess around with the sound. He said he had to compress it. I said "don't do it" and he said that everybody does and I think, did it. I don't know what it did. The trumpet used was a Monette 993.

I wanted to do more recording at home. My wife got me a Audio Technica AT2035 Mike and a Saffire 6 USB that came with a recording program that's too hard to work. It all sits there doing nothing.

3. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    That project sounds interesting in how it was done and pulled off. You should dig into that Saffire though - the Focusrite preamps are pretty decent. Virtually every project I've done has been done with GarageBand on my iMac - very easy to use. Also, if you've got the Focusrite preamp/interface, you should also have the plug-in suite, and those plug-ins - the compressor, reverb and parametric EQ, are pretty sweet.

4. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    I found the original recording but I can't upload it. I think the file is too big. I also found a big band clip with me playing lead. I'm sorry I can't upload them.

5. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    B15M ... go to Soundcloud.com ... you can upload very large music files and it will give you a link for anyone to go listen... it doesn't cost anything and you don't even have to register ... they do have a large user option which you do have to purchase but for what we are doing here it would be perfect.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2011
  6. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    Thank you.

If I did it correctly, you should be able to go here and hear the complete Arutunian and a clip of me playing lead with the local union guys.

http://soundcloud.com/b15m

Last edited: Mar 27, 2011
  7. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2011
  8. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    It's a little tricky to post the link. You have to find yourself while your logged off and post a link to that page.

9. Jfrancis

Jfrancis Pianissimo User

Jul 19, 2008
    Hannibal, MO
  10. Richard Oliver

Richard Oliver Forte User

Jul 18, 2006
    Casper, WY
    John, I like!!! :)