Tm rocks!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by turtlejimmy, May 7, 2011.

1. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    To be honest, I'm much more of a guitar player than trumpeter ... about a year for trumpet and many years for guitar. After having fun in here, I went to check out a similar forumn for guitar players. If I like this place, I'd probably LOVE a guitar forumn.

:-?

I bought a new acoustic guitar (an Eastman:roll:) and thought that was a good reason to check out the forumns and what they had to say about the model I got. Yes, there was a long discussion and people said it was a great guitar and all that but then spent 3 pages discussing how the string spacing is different than a similar sized Martin. I mean, it was like 1/64th of an inch difference, or something like that. (my 1st thought was .... do what I did, with another guitar, have your tech change it .... easy). 3 pages of death like boredom about my new baby.:shhh:

Trumpet players are so much more interesting, weird, crazy, opinionated, funny and passionate!

In a word, (okay 2) .... TM ROCKS.:play:

The Turtle

2. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    you've got to be kidding? I have looked on my King Silver Flair, and I am thinking that the 3rd valve slide is 3/1000ths of an inch longer than most other Silver Flairs. AND whoa dude - do you know what that does to my low G????
    Not to mention that the 2nd valve is 0.000000001 nm (nanometers) larger than it should be -- no wonder my second valve is sluggish!!!!!
    LOL, ROFL

3. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    :lol:ROFL

Right. Okay, maybe the difference is not in the details ...

Turtle

Btw, sorry to hear about your low G.

Last edited: May 7, 2011
  4. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Strings? My Getzen hasn't any strings - oh, nor does the Harrelson, the B&H, nor the Weril. Do I need spaced strings? Will that increase my range? How about endurance? How do you measure the spacing? :dontknow:

5. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    the low G is awesome, I just have to remember when I adjust the 3rd valve slide out to compensate for the difference in length. LOL

6. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    tie a string to your pinky finger on your right hand, and that will be your string to remind you why you are a trumpet player. to hit higher notes and increase range - you need to tighten the string correspondingly -- tighter string = higher range. ROFL

7. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    There is another place you can tie the string that will make you play even higher! But I would not recommend this.

8. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    The art of intonation can often be explained in many ways. I would think that measuring 100 old Martins would provide at least 50 different fret spacings..........

Perhaps Eastman even has a tuning advantage?

9. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    Eastman makes the best acoustic guitars on the planet right now, IMO, for 3 reasons ....

1. They're in China (Co. was originally from Germany), so the labor cost for their master craftsmen is cheap. They work like old school violin shops ..... 5 craftsmen on each guitar, one master, three craftsmen, and one apprentice.

2. They have the best tone woods from China (mostly tops, spruces including Adirondak, and Mahogany).

3. The company has 150 years of experience making violins, voilas, cellos, and basses. As my friend at the music store says, "After violins, guitars are EASY to make."

To me, the strings look spaced correctly .... fat string on top, skinny on the bottom.:dontknow:

Turtle

10. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    oh - yes that is your left big toe - because it then allows more blood to flow to your lips, increasing your control, and thus allowing higher notes. ROFL