TMEA Allstate Brandt Book guesses?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Joshua712, Jul 11, 2015.

1. Joshua712

Joshua712 Pianissimo User

Nov 7, 2012
    Texas
    Howdy! I'm a senior in High School preparing for TMEA Allstate auditions, I've been practicing a lot (2-3 hours a day) and am trying to make the most of my last chance to make Allstate. This year's three etudes will be selected from Brandt's 34 studies. There willl be three etudes, generally a technical one, a lyrical one, and another one. Last year, the etudes were taken from Wurm's 40 studies and etudes 26, 36, 38 to give y'all some ideas of how they pick. So my question is...Which three etudes would y'all consider to be strong candidates? Thank you very much! All answers are appreciated!

2. LaTrompeta

LaTrompeta Forte User

May 3, 2015
    Colorado Springs
    I'm not sure, really. I don't recall any of the Brandt etudes being particularly "lyrical." I would look over each piece and practice the ones that are hardest. That is a good way to be ready for whatever they throw at you. My college professor would do this for orchestra auditions. We always knew it would be a Brandt piece, but we didn't know which one until the day before the audition.

3. BrassBandMajor

BrassBandMajor Fortissimo User

Jan 13, 2015
    London
    I love one of Brandt's ├ętude for c trumpet based on the ride of the Valkyries

4. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Why not learn all 34?

5. BrassBandMajor

BrassBandMajor Fortissimo User

Jan 13, 2015
    London
    You are the greatest advisor I've ever seen.

6. jiarby

jiarby Fortissimo User

May 7, 2011
    Arizona
    Duh.. you have had 3-4 yrs to work on these two books. What have you done with your time?? Basketball band pep songs?

7. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    There's a lot more to life than playing trumpet, and even for those who are serious about it, as I was, they might not have had an instructor who specifically had them working out of the Brandt etude book. Especially not when there is a plethora of other materials that can take you just as far. In my case, I didn't have an instructor at all, so I worked on things out of the Arban's in a sort of random fashion, my concert band and jazz band music, the stuff I was performing in church on a regular basis and my contest solos. I also did a lot of pep band, which was near the top of my list of favorite things to do.

In any case, I had a fairly balanced HS life, although I was heavily involved in music, both vocal and instrumental. In retrospect, I don't think I'd change a thing.

8. jiarby

jiarby Fortissimo User

May 7, 2011
    Arizona
    Blasphemy!

Anyway... my comments were directed at the OP, any not at anyone else's misspent youth. I, myself, didn't bother to get going on Wurm or Brandt until I was 30 years removed from HS... but did have the rippingest high G in any basketball band on earth!.

9. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    The Brandt studies are for old school orchestral playing: on time, in tune, and if you can make it musical, that's a bonus. To try and guess which three will be chosen is a futile exercise, and antithetical to good trumpet playing. Everything we play is important.

10. LaTrompeta

LaTrompeta Forte User

May 3, 2015
    Colorado Springs
    On time and in tune?!
    Where have all the good men gone...