TMEA

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Bear, Jan 20, 2005.

1. Bear

Bear Forte User

Apr 30, 2004
    USA
    Hey Folxs,
    Just wonderin' who all will be attending TMEA (Texas Music Educators Assoc.) here in a few weeks? What about dealers? Just interested, hope to see some of y'all down there, take care.

Tim

2. bigaggietrumpet

bigaggietrumpet Mezzo Forte User

Jan 23, 2004
    Nazareth, PA
    what week is it this year?

3. Bear

Bear Forte User

Apr 30, 2004
    USA
    dude, it's like in two weeks... First full week of Feb.

4. bandman

bandman Forte User

Oct 16, 2004
    Lafayette, LA, USA
    I loved TMEA in the past, but the program has become college teachers telling people in the trenches how they should be doing things. I would love to hear Dr. Tim speak, and there are a few others who intrigue me, but for the most part it looks like those people who live in those fantasy worlds (you know the ones with unlimited budgets and 4-5 directors per school) will continue to tell those of us who teach in the real world what we are doing wrong! The same thing is what the Midwest clinic has become.

The school I was at prior to my current assignment had over 400 band students, and we had a darn good program. We could play two lists above our level on the UIL lists, and the kids were mainly from very poor homes. I was the only director at the school for 19 of 23 years. When they did finally give me some help it was only for a few hours a day.

One year we took the band to a contest in Texas (which we won) and I was told that we would be one of the best programs in the country if we only had a couple more directors and if we bought decent equipment for our students. Geeeeee. I guess I couldn't figure that one out on my own!

I'll continue to teach where no one else wants to teach, because the kids there truly appreciate me for what I give to them - my time and lots of love! We'll never be the best because there is only one of me, but we'll give it everything we have trying to be the best!

Sorry for the rant, but I used to go to conventions like TMEA and Midwest. I would get so very excited about the potential and dream about "what if....?" Then I would return to my real world and work 12-15 hour days and teach lessons for free, because if I wouldn't do it who would? These kids deserved the best, not because they were rich, but because they tried so very hard! I guess you'll have to excuse me tonight -- it has been a long week :bash:

5. Bear

Bear Forte User

Apr 30, 2004
    USA
    Hey Bandman,
    I understand man. One of the coolest things is to see the "poor, uneducated, trash kids" play. It might not be technically correct or even sound "good" but man, it is the best because they play with abandon and soul!!! I could get on my soapbox and talk about teaching in inner cities and the talent they got goin' on due to hiphop culture and understanding of backbeats and etc. But I understand how you feel about the conventions.

Why not tell those fantasy directors to come back and talk to you when they've done your job at your school and just enjoy the music/booths/presentations? You know you can pick what you attend! lol. Have a wonderful nite and God bless.

Tim

6. ScreaminRaider

ScreaminRaider Piano User

Apr 22, 2004
    San Antonio, Tx
    Hey Tim, I'll be there....wait a minute, you're staying with me.......so I guess you already knew that :dontknow: ROFL

7. MahlerBrass

MahlerBrass Piano User

Oct 1, 2004
    Houston, TX
    I'll be there, there's going to be some really great groups playing this year, such as the North Texas Wind Symphony and the UNT 1 o'clock lab band, and finally the Swingle Singers, who are just amazing. I hope to see all you guys there, if anyone wants to go get a few brews afterwards just listen for one of the hundreds of obnoxious trumpet players "testing" horns with dubba Gs :D

8. Bear

Bear Forte User

Apr 30, 2004
    USA
    Yeah Jon,
    We're gonna have a blast. We'll have to hook up with Mahlerbrass and "test" horns with him, lol. I haven't realy dug the 1 o'clock in a few years since they've moved to more abstract/new age jazz, but hey, it still mightbe a good concert. UNT does put out some technical beasts, they'd be really good if they could put some soul into it too, lol.

9. bandman

bandman Forte User

Oct 16, 2004
    Lafayette, LA, USA
    Thanks for the support (I think?). Just for the record -- I've never taught a "trash kid", in fact I don't know what that is. And my kids played technically correct and always sounded good! You are correct that they did put their soul into every note! I'm very proud of what my students accomplished over the years. I'm a pretty good player, but my proudest moments in my musical life is when the horns were in the hands of my students!

10. Bear

Bear Forte User

Apr 30, 2004
    USA
    Naw it's kewl. What I meant by "trash kid" is what society deems as immoral, deliquent, yadda-yadda-yadda.... kids. You got my support, lol. Have a good nite.