To amado or not to amado -> NUISANCE!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by mickvanflugel, Nov 18, 2011.

1. mickvanflugel

mickvanflugel Forte User

Jul 1, 2011
    Germany
    :evil: My Jupiter flugel drives me nuts,
    I cannot get the water out of it.
    What can I do to make the Amado water keys work (more properly than before)?
    Any advice except shopping for a different flugel?

2. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    The amado on the bell loop is not effective because when you blow there is very little pressure there as the tubing is wide open all the way to the bell. You can open the water key and just give it a shake and that works as well as blowing.

I just rotate the horn and let the water drain from the bell.

3. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Flugel is French for "water retention device". I have NEVER seen a flugel that didn't do that. It's not your amado. Watched Arturo spin his like a six-shooter in concert to get the water out.

I too have an 846 and it does the same thing. Only thing to do is figure which method gets rid of the water fastest.

4. mickvanflugel

mickvanflugel Forte User

Jul 1, 2011
    Germany
    It had been definitely possible to let the water drain out of the Amado key,
    but a week ago, not a drop would run out...

5. graysono

graysono Mezzo Forte User

Jan 22, 2007
    Hyde Park, Utah
    Pull the other slides to see where the water is hanging. My former Stovmi Forte (trumpet) would hang up in the first valve slide. I finally found that there was some buildup in there from slide lube. Cleaning cured the problem. When did you last thoroughly clean this?

6. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Hold it, bell down, for a minute then squeeze. Sometimes it's like a water faucet, other times it's not. I've just come to accept it as a part of flugel playing. My teacher has another make and it does the same thing.

P.S., buying another flugel would only be a waste of time and money. AND you'd be hard pressed to match the sound of your 846! ;-)

Last edited: Nov 18, 2011
  7. mickvanflugel

mickvanflugel Forte User

Jul 1, 2011
    Germany
    Helpful posts, thank you. Well, the last thorough cleaning was about 3 weeks ago.

But what it boils down to seems to be that a zen-like attitude is required when trying to drain the horn, yes.
    Really, you cannot force a flugel to do anything. I spare you the human equivalents here.[​IMG]

Most definitely, yes, that 846RL is really a keeper :thumbsup:

Last edited: Nov 18, 2011
  8. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Sometimes slide grease and valve oils mix inside the instrument and form a sludge - this happened with
    my Getzen Eterna - the solution was to put the Amado to my lips, depress the valve button, and blow
    back into the trumpet through the Amado. I heard a faint popping sound and then felt full flow - a quick
    rinse under a cold tap brough the "blob" of muck out of the bell (yes, I am embarrassed). I used cold
    water so that the muck didn't melt and I could see what I was dealing with - and yes it prompted
    a thorough cleaning - it appeared my snake wasn't quite reaching that bend properly and so I
    purchased a new snake in an Ultra Pure Kit (with oil, slide grease, and brushes). Best of luck, I hope
    this helps.

9. amzi

amzi Forte User

Feb 18, 2010
    Northern California
    Let me first state that I do not like Amado water keys. I have owned a few horn with them, and I found them to be trouble then they are worth. However, I did manage to keep them working. The first step was to keep the inside of the horn very clean. Snakes, running water, etc. Next you need to routinely maintain the silly thing. As I remember it, the Jupiter has one of the most simple Amado style water keys to disassemble--just a screwdriver--no spring clips and no spring clip pliers necessary. Anyway, disassemble the Amado and clean the inside thoroughly. Next determine the drill size of the hole into the tubing (it should be smaller than the drain hole in the Amado valve itself). Clean the hole with the drill--just hold it in your fingers and rotate. Do not use a drill motor or other mechanical device to turn the drill--just use your fingers. Flush all the junk out of the horn with flowing water. Clean and lubricate all the internal parts of the Amado then reassemble. I found that a drop of Kroil on the Amado every time I oiled the valves and repeating the complete cleaning process every time I flushed the horns kept the Amado water keys working--more or less--properly. That being said, I still prefer the standard water key--spring lever and a piece of cork--works until it doesn't and a field expedient repair is always possible.

10. mickvanflugel

mickvanflugel Forte User

Jul 1, 2011
    Germany
    Yippieh, that was it! After opening and cleaning the Amado keys, I can drain the water more easily now.
    There was some ugly coagulated oil and grease grime indeed that might have caused the obstruction.

Thanks a million, Tedh1951 and amzi!:-)