To amado or not to amado -> NUISANCE!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by mickvanflugel, Nov 18, 2011.

1. xjb0906

xjb0906 Piano User

May 2, 2009
    Charlotte NC
    Letting gravity do the work is better than blowing. Blowing just pushes it past the water key.

2. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    I am glad all has ended well for the OP. But Ted, you sure that popping sound wasn't your ear drum? I did the same thing as you Ted with the same result, but man did my ear smarts and ring FOR DAYS. Not only did I get sludge and goop out of the Amado valves, but you should have seen what came out of my ears. I'm thinking of sending this stuff to Kingtrumpet to use as pot hole filler, before he starts plowing snow in Upstate New York.

Anyway, to the OP, you are now in the prevention mode. I find now after cleaning the mess, that if you CAREFULLY put the sharp end of a toothpick up the drain hole with the Amado in the open position, you can wipe out the film with each cleaning BEFORE TROUBLE hits again. Then I blow water through from the other side to assure what I loosen up comes out the valve. Since doing this, my Getzen Eterna drains flawlessly AND I CAN HEAR AGAIN! Praise the Lord, Praise the Lord, I am cured and can HEAR AGAIN!

3. edfitzvb

edfitzvb Forte User

Jun 10, 2008
    Woodlawn, VA
    Learned something new today. That's why I keep coming back.

4. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    That is the question ... Whether tis nobler to commission classic water key installation by a competent tech or let gravity be thy guide .... Hmmmmmmm.:think:

Turtle

5. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    There IS no gravity. The world just sucks!

Bah, Humbug! This always happens to me around the Holidays!

6. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon

Hahahaha ..... I saw that once on a bumper sticker ...... "Gravity is a MYTH, the earth SUCKS.":lol:

Cheer up, G. You have a Committee in your near future (the buzz is in the air).

Turtle

7. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    That WOULD truly change my Holiday disposition. By the way, I heard a similar thing that really ticks me off about Santa Claus. They tell me Santa is a Myth, and I just say right back at them: "No he's not; He's a Mythter."

8. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    take 2 gin and tonics --- and call yourself in the morning ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL

9. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    I too keep mine clean but I don't like the idea of podgers and the like being stuck into drain valves. What if I inadvertantly break off the toothpick? Unlikely I know - what, with my amazing skill set (damn, starting to sound like Kingtrumpet - I'll have to watch that) but I choose to regularly reverse blow the Amados and ensure that the gunk doesn't form. I've changed my slide grease too to minimise the incompatibility that I suppose caused the drama in the first place.

10. mickvanflugel

mickvanflugel Forte User

Jul 1, 2011
    Germany
    So would you say HetmanĀ“s #1 and 3rd valve trigger slide grease #5 are an incompatible combo like you mention?