To Beer or not to Beer?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by brem, Oct 15, 2007.

1. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    I've noticed that drinking beverages out of cans (adult or not) can sometimes cause a weird swelling in the lips.

As to beer, it can have a tendency to grow from an after the gig celebration to a before the gig preparation--the before and after times can grow in duration, and the effects can be nasty and unpleasant. Alcohol is a great solvent--it can disolve relationships and careers, so due caution is advised. A good fruit juice (sans pulp) is just as performance enhancing without making violists better-looking than they actually are.

2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    One glass of red wine and a plate of pasta BEFORE a Brandenburg Concerto wass the best warm up that I have ever had! NEVER during the gig.
    Beer (or other carbonated beverages) make me burp! that produces an interesting non-musical effect while playing!

Last edited: Oct 17, 2007
  3. brem

brem Mezzo Forte User

Sep 13, 2007
    Quebec City, QC, Canada
    oh yeah.... never have a gulp between tunes... the burp inevitably comes right when you got to blow....

4. rubberduckie

rubberduckie New Friend

Oct 16, 2006
    Have any of you ever noticed that if you drink beer and then have to burp while playing the note comes out like a quarter step low? Although never had done this in a performance, beerdrinking duets were always fun at Northwestern (well, due to the lack of other things to do...) Why does the pitch come out low with beer burp air?!?

5. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    I used to drink and play, but now I just play, I am less nervous, have better breath control, and improvise better.

6. mike ansberry

mike ansberry Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Clarksville, Tennessee, U
    Having a couple of beers helps my playing. It relaxes me and i can concentrate better. Helps eliminate any nervous problems I may have. More than 2 beers... well, then it kind of goes down hill.

So I guess it should really be Two Beers, or not Two Beers?

7. Blazing Asian

Blazing Asian Pianissimo User

Nov 10, 2006
    Alcohol is bad. Don't do it. Its bad.

8. brem

brem Mezzo Forte User

Sep 13, 2007
    Quebec City, QC, Canada
    Alcohol is neither good or bad. It's what people make of it.

9. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
    I have two theories.

1. The burp opens the aperture causing the air to change speed.

2. The gas that is expelled (possibly CO2) is more dense than air so the vibrations don't vibrate as fast as they do in air. See this video for demonstation with a special gas YouTube - The Preston and Steve Show's Science Day 2007 - Part 1 Fast forward to about 3 minutes in.

10. camelbrass

camelbrass Mezzo Forte User

Nov 5, 2003
    Dubai, UAE

Ah, university. Nice to see things haven't changed since my days in the hallowed halls!! My equivalent was the 'iron man' competition held by the uni rugby club...involved running around a sports field, jugs of beer and cold meat pies.

Matt, perhaps there's a thesis in this?

Regards,

Trevor

Last edited: Oct 17, 2007