To Beer or not to Beer?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by brem, Oct 15, 2007.

1. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Of course it is a thesis subject--in America we use kegs of beer and raw meat pies!

My point, however, is that what goes on the hallowed halls of the University doesn't always translate well the to the hollowed halls of the Symphony. :cool:

2. lupin62

lupin62 New Friend

Oct 3, 2007
    La Crosse, WI
    Yea ... I don't think drinking beer would make you any better ... but dose everyone remember the good old days of jazz. Heroin man, that's liquid talent. Maybe not but still. Now that I think of it wasn't almost everyone doing that back then. Miles, the people in his bands, Bird, the list goes on. I'm sure it was only because it was the cool thing but still, it makes you wonder, doesn't it.

3. Richard Oliver

Richard Oliver Forte User

Jul 18, 2006
    Casper, WY
    Not one iota. I've been places and done things. None of it good.

4. brem

brem Mezzo Forte User

Sep 13, 2007
    Quebec City, QC, Canada
    If anything, LSD could give you weird inspiration.

5. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I am not sure that the influence of ANY drug could be called "inspiration". If my soul is buried so deep that only drugs could make a pathway to it - then there is NOTHING inspirational about that. It just defines the bad shape that I am in. It makes more sense to solve the problem instead of compounding it!

6. bilboinsa

bilboinsa Piano User

Jan 24, 2006
    San Antonio, TX
    Absolutely true. We have a very talented bass player, who is a very valuable (in more ways than one) member of our band. Due to his "habit" of imbibing, he becomes a class A jerk. We came *this* close to kicking him out, but then we all agreed on a "no alcohol" policy before the second set. It's a shame when a grown man doesn't comprehend the trouble he/it causes....

7. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    FYI and a bit off topic: Many asian people have a genetic quirk which interferes in the production of a chemical, aldehyde dehydrogenase, which the body uses to metabolize ethyl alcohol. The result is that they rapidly suffer uncomfortable symptoms such as flushing, dizziness, and nausea (and blazing?), which discourages their consumption of alcohol.

8. brem

brem Mezzo Forte User

Sep 13, 2007
    Quebec City, QC, Canada
    veery: indeed. My former boss was Chinese and would blush when he would drink even just one sip of alcohol. He was as sober as a rock :)

9. Blazing Asian

Blazing Asian Pianissimo User

Nov 10, 2006
    I'm just saying. I am just a teenager and it doesn't look very good to see other conversing about beer and trumpet player. I'm out.

10. brem

brem Mezzo Forte User

Sep 13, 2007
    Quebec City, QC, Canada
    Blazing Asian: huh?