To clean or not to clean

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by nickenator, Oct 17, 2013.

1. nickenator

nickenator Pianissimo User

Oct 19, 2008
    Wondering what I should be doing to clean my trumpets. There is much conflicting information on TM and the web (never clean, always clean, alcohol for valves, dish soap, etc). Wondering what the standard is here. Weekly baths? Take the full trumpet apart? Ultrasonic or chemical cleans at the music store?

2. gbshelbymi

gbshelbymi Mezzo Piano User

Jan 3, 2013
    Travelers Rest, SC
    You should always clean your trumpet. How often is open for debate and depends on how much you play and how diligent you are about not combining food and playing too closely together. :D If it hasn't been cleaned in a long time, then perhaps a professional chemical bath is in order. Then, again depending on how much you play, perhaps a monthly bath at home is acceptable.

3. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    I just take mine apart every few months and let it soak in the sink in hot water with dishwashing detergent. After it's soaked a while, I run a cleaning brush through it, rinse it out/off, let it dry, re-oil/grease everything, and put it back together.

4. Martin Williams

Martin Williams Mezzo Piano User

Apr 29, 2005
    Columbus, Oh-hi-uh
    That's going to be about the average for most players, that will take care of it. Chem clean every once in a while doesn't hurt though.

5. nickenator

nickenator Pianissimo User

Oct 19, 2008
    What do I do with the valves. Soak the entire thing, remove spring and pads first, ... ?

6. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    I don't soak the valves - I remove them from the horn before soaking and clean the passages with a Q-tip and some Blue Juice. If you do want to soak the valves, you'll need to remove any felts and corks in them first.

7. gbshelbymi

gbshelbymi Mezzo Piano User

Jan 3, 2013
    Travelers Rest, SC
    Two ways... completely disassemble the valves and remove the felts and/or corks. Springs can stay. Or, put the valves in a glass and put in just enough water to cover the pistons themselves but not the felts, etc.

8. motteatoj

motteatoj Mezzo Forte User

Feb 23, 2013
    Tuckahoe, NY
    I clean once a month on my heavy players and every few months on the lesser played ones.
    Chem clean once a year for heavy, less for others.

Valves i hold and clean below pads/felts in soapy water, as with the rest of the horn. All other parts are soaked for a few minutes and the main body of the horn washed with same soapy water, cleaning brushes or padded 'brushes' on all.
    Dawn really is the best as it cuts through the oils etc best.

oh, and clean that MPC as much as possible! even if it is a rinse and brushing, it will save the plating, and keep down germs. you wouldn't put a dirty fork (wiped clean with your mouth) in your case and reuse tomorrow and again and again would you.

9. PiGuy_314

PiGuy_314 Pianissimo User

Oct 12, 2013
    Pennsylvania
    I utilise the second method.

10. tjcombo

tjcombo Forte User

Nov 12, 2012
    Melbourne, Australia
    +1 for most of the above - around monthly for regular players. In addition, for the couple of heavier use horns, I run luke-warm water straight from the tap through the horn weekly in between cleaning. It might be all in my tiny mind, but I swear they blow better after a rinse.