To "E" or not to "E"....

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by rjzeller, Mar 24, 2005.

1. rjzeller

rjzeller Forte User

Mar 7, 2005
    Rochester, MN
    Manny;

I was talking to a fellow trumpeter about a dialogue you and I had shared the other day regarding mouthpieces. He wanted me to pose this question for you (I can probably guess what you'll say, but I promised I'd ask you...).

His question is essentially this: He uses a Bach 1C for most playing, but his sound is SO big and SO dark that he has trouble blending with other players (such as myself and WB), so he either switches to a 3C for concert band, or uses a 1E for jazz. He basically wants to know what your thoughts are regarding the switch to a 1E for jazz vs. his normal gear. He does it strictly to blend with the rest of the section -- the parts he plays are typically not demanding and he never solos.

Thoughts? Should he stick with the E or not? He is clearly most comfortable on the 1C (or bigger...dude has big lips!!!).

Z

2. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    RJ,

There is always the 1D option... I'll bet he'd like that middle ground and would sound fine. It's all about comfort level. For some that means intonation, for others volume of sound. I'd stay on the bigger mouthpiece and not worry about the blend. Rather, I'd focus on the size of the sound.

ML