To Gold? or NOT to Gold (mouthpiece plating)

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by zotpatrolmom, Dec 12, 2008.

1. lmf

lmf Forte User

May 16, 2007
    Indiana USA
    Are we talking about a lot of money difference between silver and gold for this particular mouthpiece? Gold feels better on the lips in my humble opinion. If your son only plays one mouthpiece, why not get it for him? However, I would caution him that if the mouthpiece is lost again, it is his money that buys a next one. He ought not to expect you to cover the cost again. It's his responsibility! Could be the gold mouthpiece will be taken care of better, who knows?

Best wishes,

Lloyd

2. HSOtrumpet1

HSOtrumpet1 Pianissimo User

Nov 28, 2008
    Michigan
    I personally think that the opinion of gold being better could at least be partly marked down as placebo effect. I don't think it would matter that much.. the shape of the mouthpiece would definitely matter more. I think that your son wants it because it's the "in" thing. I would get it for him just to be nice, I'm sure that he would take better care of it. Plus, I don't have really much say on this subject, I don't know a lot about it...

3. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    HSO,
    you may not be able to imagine this, but it is not placebo. Our lips are capable of sensing much more than geometry. Gold "feels" different, even blindfolded. I believe it is due to the softness of the metal, that means that it will get microscopic scratches easier that will help hold moisture between the metal and the lips. That causes the gold mouthpiece to have less of a "grip" on the embouchure. I have both and know quite a bit about them!

4. lovevixen555

lovevixen555 Banned

Nov 5, 2008
    Michigan
    It will not do anything for the sound production. Gold plateing is about body chemistry more then anything. My body eat gold up like a fat kid eats cookies so gold plateing is not for me at all! My oldest boy is 10 and he would give his eye teeth for a gold plated mouthpiece but I already told him no! You can get them gold plated fairly easily either OEM for some or aftermarket.

If money is no object and you donot mind the reasoning behind his desire then go for it. I think it is silly and vain to get a gold plated anything if it does not serve a purpose. If my boy was allergic to silver or nickle or "insert coating here" I would not hesitate to get him one but not just because he want's to impress the guy's!!! If he want's to impress people let him get a job and do it with his own money not your's! When did a trumpet mouthpiece become jewerly to show off to the world or a status symbol last I checked it was intended to produce sound! Maybe next year you can get him one with dimonds or some other prescious stones around the outside of the cup and shank area........You see where I am going???? Some kids have a legitamate need for it due to allergies but the rest are just trust fund kids with silver spoon's or in this case Gold plated mouth pieces in their mouth's!

HSOtrumpet1 likes this.
  5. zotpatrolmom

zotpatrolmom New Friend

Dec 12, 2008
    Thank you ALL so much for your thoughtful opinions and advice. Tedh - and et - thank you both. We await the arrival of the gold plated mouthpiece with my son's envious private instructor.
    Will let you know what they both think next week!
    Thanks again! Tedh - LOVE your pic! so cute!
    ZPM - Sheri

6. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Sheri, that's why we are here - our raison d'etre - TMers have provided me with so much that it is an absolute pleasure to be able to reciprocate in even a small way. I hope your son has a positive experience with his new mouthpiece. I believe that the gold-plating has improved my playing because I have been forced to control the buzz and have had to learn to relax and centre (center) my focus a bit more. ROWUK can give you the technical stuff - I just know that my lips like the gold.

As to the avatar - well, that's just my representation of the ever so tiny angelic part of my personality. (Yeah! Yeah! self dillusional as always - I know). It is called the "The Angelic Child". I kinda like it too.
    ROFL

7. The Dutch Guy

The Dutch Guy Piano User

Sep 22, 2008
    Netherlands
    now were talking mouthpieces anyway, two years ago I was a seventeen year old too :-)
    I only have one mouthpiece, and that is this one: 16c4-gp (I believe the gp stands for goldplated)

what kind of a mouthpiece is this? I have nothing to compare it too, because I've had this since I really started practising.

it's a yamaha custom, by the way

8. Anonymousiv

Anonymousiv Pianissimo User

May 29, 2010
    Youngstown, OH
    When I was in college, I would occasionally get sores on my lips--I used a VB 3B silver mouthpiece. I tried gold and the feel was much better--it seemed smoother. And since I moved to the gold mouthpiece, stopped getting sores.

I must also say the the gold mouthpieces would pit rather easily so I've had to replace it every 5 years or so.

After the 2nd replacement, I decided to try one of the plastic Kelly mouthpieces (I tried the 1.5C) with the intention of giving it a try for a month and moving back, but I liked it so much I stayed on it. And I still don't get the sores.

9. larry tscharner

larry tscharner Forte User

Apr 30, 2010
    dubuque iowa
    For me the gold plate doesnt feel cold no matter how long the rest is, or how long winded the conductor is in introducing the next selection. It feels softer with definetly less grip on my lips, an advantage for the most part. But we all need to admit that the cool factor helped us decide to go gold. I love the gold dress up kit and colorful finger buttons from Mouthpiece Express and my Yamaha 14c4 GP mpc. I still suck but as Billy Crystal always says..."I look marvelous!" I think of my instruments as an extension of me and factory stock is a little boring. Best wishes.

10. CaptainAddy

CaptainAddy Pianissimo User

Nov 14, 2010
    Camden County, GA
    This thread is 3 years old, come on guys... I think the original question was answered...