To Gold? or NOT to Gold (mouthpiece plating)

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by zotpatrolmom, Dec 12, 2008.

1. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Zombie thread strikes again!!!:shock::shock::shock:

2. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    I have no experience in silver vs gold moutpieces .. but I do as a parent.... you have got a real winner for a goal for your son. Be it grades or practice time and pieces.
    +1 to the comments about getting an instructor and cup size though

3. msodasoccer51

msodasoccer51 New Friend

Sep 1, 2008
    eh, don't hate. I'm 17 and play a Bach 3E, but only for marching band and jazz. I play 1st in marching and lead in jazz band. We play lots of good stuff as far as range goes, and will be playing the "Gonna Fly Now" for graduation ( just to give you an idea as to why I use a 3E). I use my 3c for all classical music, concert setting pieces and my local colleges wind ensemble band I play with. I agree with you for the most part, partly because I hate schilke mouthpieces, but also because they can be used correctly.
    The problem is when you have kids who don't have a strong embouchure, and have crappy tone playing shallow cups.

4. schleiman

schleiman Piano User

May 12, 2010
    Austin, TX
    Wow this thread is 3 years old! Cool discussion although the 17 year old son which this post is about is probably 20 years old and in college now. Wonder if he's on a gold mouthpiece.... haha