To hammer, or not to hammer......

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Trumpet Dreamer, Dec 2, 2010.

1. Masterwannabe

Masterwannabe Mezzo Piano User

Sep 11, 2009
    Colorado
    Since I recently acquired a horn with a coprion bell and reading all I can find about the bell and the process to make it, I was wondering how folks feel about the press Conn put out about it's superiority. If this type of bell in fact has some sort of benefit is there anyone still making these on a custom basis and do you think a person wanting to make their own horn would want this kind of bell?

Just trying to learn and be curious. :dontknow:

Ray Z :play:

2. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
    Del Quadro Custom Trumpets

Makes electroformed copper bells.

I personally have looked in to the materials needed to do my own bells in electroformed copper. The only thing that is prohibitive about it is the cost of a mandrel to form on.

3. Kujo20

Kujo20 Forte User

Sep 29, 2010
    I agree with pretty much everything that has been said above. I think that it is the artisan that makes the true difference, not the act itself. If you look at the wide spectrum of makers that "hand hammer" their bells, you'll find names like Taylor and Inderbinen all the way to Yamaha and Bach. Then you have to think about the rest of the horn....which horn will spend more time with machines rather than human hands???? :)

Kujo

4. rafaelsatchmo

rafaelsatchmo New Friend

Oct 12, 2010
    Nauvoo Illinois
    Just a note on the "machine vs. artisan" tone this thread is taking. Those that think that anything made on machines is inferior to 'hand made" are barking up the wrong tree. This just is not true. Anyone familiar with hand-built automobiles (usually the bodies) will know that they are anything but perfect. They are usually assymetrical and can vary wildly from side-to-side. Cobras were notorious for this, as were many Vignale-built Ferraris, etc.

So it is (was) with so-called hand crafted horns. Mt. Vernon Bachs were all over the place in terms of playability, intonation, sound, etc. while the so-called machine made Olds, King etc. had incredibly consistent tolerances and performance.

CNC machining can reproduce components to the same tolerance over and over. Human hands cannot. What the artisan can do is "feel," which a machine cannot. This is expecially important during the assemply phase, particularly the valve casing, lapping, etc.

With the exception of the 1 piece vs. two piece bell argument, all bells of professional grade were hammered over the mandrel (once assembled) and then metal spun to get the shape and rim.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2011
  5. Kujo20

Kujo20 Forte User

Sep 29, 2010
    It's all about the player!
    There are no absolutes to what is "better". If a horn fits you and your playing style, then it is the best for you (handmade or not).
    Example: Didn't Chet Baker play a cheap student model trumpet for a while?

Kujo