To overhaul or not overhaul...

Discussion in 'Horns' started by Trumpet1Ohio, Jun 22, 2005.

1. Trumpet1Ohio

Trumpet1Ohio Piano User

Jun 22, 2005
    Columbus, OH
    I'm getting ready to send my 1967 Benge 3x to be overhauled and replated. I'm planning on sending it to Lee Adams with Callet. I've played the same horn since the early 70's. Really don't have much to compare it to. I'm happy with the horn...I guess. Benge has always had a good rep., but wondering if I should invest the money into something newer.

I'm playing lead in a big band and want an appropriate horn. opinions. What's the overall opinion of the old Benge horns?

:?:

2. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    It's the player, not the horn.

Just here in Detroit among lead players I find
    A Courtois 708 Sonic
    2 Selmer K-Modifieds
    A Schilke B1
    A Schilke B6
    A B5
    A B6L
    A Getzen Severinsen
    2 Calicchios
    An L.A. Benge

And that's just off the top of my head.

Play what works for you.

-cw-

3. dbacon

dbacon Mezzo Piano User

Oct 24, 2003
    Scottsdale, AZ.
    The 67 Benge should be a great trumpet! I've got a very good CG Benge that belonged to Mel Broiles, it's a fine lead trumpet. Zig Kanstul makes the best Benge trumpet today, check out the Chicago Kanstul.

And say hi to my buddy Wes Orr when you see him! :cool:

4. Trumpet1Ohio

Trumpet1Ohio Piano User

Jun 22, 2005
    Columbus, OH
    I don't know Wes personally, but have heard him play for years. Great player.

5. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    I have always heard that getting a trumpet overhauled and replated "can" change the way that it plays, sometimes for the worse. However, I've also heard that in the hands of the right brass repair tech, that very same horn can come back in pristeen shape - just like new, and it will play like a dream, maybe even better than before.

Lee Adams is probably about as good as anyone you can find to go through for that sort of thing. I don't know if Lee does the work himself or if there is someone that he goes through, but he is dedicated to the needs of the lead player so I can imagine that your horn will come back playing like it always did, if not better.

Good luck!

6. gzent

gzent Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2003
    Rochester, MN
    Well, if you live near a larger music store then why not do some shopping?
    Take the old Benge and play it side by side with some new horns. Get a feel for what's out there. Also, there is a Kanstul dealer in Dayton - Hauer Music House. If you play a new Kanstul Chicago model that will give you a great feel for how a restored, LA Benge will play. Kanstul is THE Benge expert.

Good luck,

Greg

7. Trumpet1Ohio

Trumpet1Ohio Piano User

Jun 22, 2005
    Columbus, OH
    Forgive my ignorance, but I keep reading about Kanstul Benge or Kanstul Bach. What does that mean? Do they make a high quality "knock-off" of the other brands?

8. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    I have read that the Kanstul Chicago is as close as you can get to a vintage, Chicago Benge without actually finding a vintage Benge. I have also read that Zig Kanstul wound up with all of Benge's tooling and bell mandrels from when Eldon Benge was making trumpets in Chicago, and that is why they are so close to the real thing. I have also heard that the Kanstul Chicago actually improved upon some of the intonation quirks that Benges tended to have.

I don't know about Kanstul and Bach though. That's one that I haven't heard.

9. gzent

gzent Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2003
    Rochester, MN
    Kanstul makes high quality horns, period. Some of them are completely original, while others are based on classic designs such as the truly custom made Benges and Bachs, and other vintage Conns and Olds.

Its really not important to know the exact model specs they use because like Patrick said they usually have made subtle improvements over the originals.

Greg

10. Trumpet1Ohio

Trumpet1Ohio Piano User

Jun 22, 2005
    Columbus, OH
    I appreciate all the information. Big help.