To Pay or not

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by B15M, Apr 15, 2007.

1. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    About a year ago one of my college professors died. He was a great guy an really good musician.
    I'm not sure who or how but someone is setting up a scholarship fund in his name through the Eastman School.
    They are giving a concert to raise money not to far from my house.
    I received an email asking me to play and I said yes but I couldn't find a piano player so I sent back an email saying so.
    The organizer introduced me to a piano player that is going to do it. The concert is this Saturday and I am going to run through the Tartini tomorrow. I haven't met him yet. We talked on the phone and I mailed the music.

Here is the question: Do I offer to pay him? I am doing it for free and it is a benefit concert and the organizer introduced us.
    What if I ask what the fee is and he says 500.00?

2. kadleck

kadleck Artist in Residence Staff Member

Feb 28, 2006
    new york
    Joe -

If the organizer (who obviously knows this is a freebie) hooks you up with a pianist, I'd bet that the pianist knows the deal. Still, it may be worth checking with the organizer.

Maybe you could say something like this to the pianist: "I know this is a benefit, but can I offer you something for your time?" That way, he/she is aware that you are playing for free and that any cost will come out of your pocket. I bet the pianist takes the high road and doesn't charge you, but I guess you should be prepared to pay something just in case.

Tony

3. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    I played the concert yesterday and it went well.

I offered to pay the piano player and he turned it down. He was playing for the same reason I did.

4. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    Good show Joe.

Glad it went well.

-cw-

5. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    Win, win.... and win!