To Practice or Perform?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by amtrpt, Jun 9, 2008.

1. amtrpt

amtrpt Pianissimo User

Feb 17, 2008
    toronto
    Hi all,
    Well I have to admit that I was considerably unimpressed with my last thread, "what makes a great principal trumpet". Talk about trying to cash in on previous success! How lame! So here is a new one.

What do you like better, practicing or performing. I have to say that I much prefer practicing to performing. Don't get me wrong I love concerts and I'm a trumpet player so of course I love applause, but there is nothing for me quite the feeling of getting better on the trumpet. Nothing quite matches it. When I can hear something that has improved over a few weeks I get chills. I swear it's true.

So what do you like better, or said another way, what do you enjoy more praciticing or performing?

Let me hear it people!

Best,
    Andrew

ps. I know there are still some good threads that I haven't posted such as auditions. I will get to them, but they are pretty involved and I want to make sure that they are well thought out. I also know there are some questions I haven't answered. I'll try to get to those soon also.

2. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    I'm still thinking about what what makes a better principal trumpet better than performance or practicing. Have patience. You guys always panic at the first dull look from your section! :think:

3. tunefultrumpet

tunefultrumpet Pianissimo User

Apr 9, 2008
    New Zealand
    I like making music the most, whether it is by myself at home or at a venue. I'm not a fan of drills unless I have a specific objective needed for a specific gig. I actually don't care if I don't improve, I practised enough drills as a kid to get good enough technique to enjoy myself whatever I play. Yes, I am a hobby player.

4. amtrpt

amtrpt Pianissimo User

Feb 17, 2008
    toronto
    Hi Vulgano,
    It's true that we panic. Deep down we are all so insecure it's crazy.:)

5. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    One-two-three-four, two-two-three-four,three-two-three-four...Huh? Practice--don't have to count rests!-two-three-four...the principal doesn't talk about his car-two-three-four...then ask where we are-two three-four... :D

6. clousemiester

clousemiester Pianissimo User

Jun 10, 2007
    Boca Raton
    Enjoyment is the question?
    Being a fan of instant gratification, the performances are always more enjoyable, but only if there was enough time spent in the woodshed doing my homework!

7. bagmangood

bagmangood Forte User

Because the groups I play in only have one performance usually, I find the concerts to be kind of confusing, particularly when they are done.
    (you mean that's it? we've been practicing for the last 6 months and that's it?)
    But I think I prefer practicing, simply because of the personal focus it gives me. I can relax and just play and not have any worries. In performance I often start thinking and it causes problems :think:

8. clousemiester

clousemiester Pianissimo User

Jun 10, 2007
    Boca Raton
    As I was informed by my first formal private instructor so many years ago! "When ah You are on thee ah stage ah. In a front of all those AH peoples. You must a pretend this is ah just another rehearsal. Pretend you are alone in your room practicing the part! Concentrate on that!
    He was an old Italian Gentleman, 42 years with the Buffalo Symphany Orchestra, Angelo Tulumello.
    The older I get the more I realize his insight into everything he told me.

9. Firestas'1

Firestas'1 Piano User

Dec 21, 2006
    New Jersey
    I love practicing. Being a perfectionist I find it extremely satisfying when I finally nail that difficult run, or play the phrase exactly as written.
    I get a real rush when a performance goes really well but there is something about my practice time that is different.
    Perhaps it is the only time I can truly be alone and completely imersed in something I want to do rather than catering to the demands of others (wife, son, boss etc.)

10. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    duets better than both. Low pressure, sum and difference tones flying around the room. Real satisfaction!