To press or not to press, that is the question?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Bloomin Untidy Musician, Sep 20, 2009.

1. Bloomin Untidy Musician

Bloomin Untidy Musician Piano User

Jan 14, 2008
    Staffordshire
    G'daye

BUM here,

I have got a bloomin fast awkward run to learn for two weeks time, and i am struggling with the timing of the first couple of beats. I have been diligently practicing it with different articulations at half speed and then knotching it up 20 bpm at a time. My question is if you start a run after a rest on a fingered note, should you press the valves down before the note or should you only press them down upon the attack? Maybe i am nit picking, but i suspect that my inability to time my finger accurately is due to the fact that i am pressing the valves down during the rest before the note is played...... All ideas would be gratefully accepted

Cheers

BUM

2. tipo mastr

tipo mastr New Friend

Jun 6, 2009
    My first impression is that working it up by 20bpms is a little wide of a jump. maybe one or two metronome markings at a time might help.

otherwise,

from a standpoint of learning muscle memory, theoretically it should be more productive to hit it as you articulate. During the middle of a phrase, we don't have time to do anything but articulate as we press the valve down. Since we do most of our playing in phrases instead of at the beginning of them, it would be safe to say that most of the time that we play any given note, it is at the same moment that we press the valve down. By doing what we've learned by habit, the note SHOULD come out easier/more accurately.

however, despite all this theory, i really havent experienced any difference. :dontknow:

the only thing i would say is that there is a slight chance that if you don't hold down the valve, it could clam because the valve isnt down all the way.

overall, i dont get the impression that most players worry about it.

3. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    I think you may have solved your own problem. (If I'm reading you correctly) I can see how the percussiveness of the valve striking in rhythm with the passage can be of help verses having the valve already pressed and ready to go.

4. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    You should stick with however you practice it. There is no advantage or disadvantage to pressing the valves first - other than the initial "klunk" of the valve on the first note.

If you REALLY have it down in the practice room, anything goes. NO EXPERIMENTS DURING A PERFORMANCE!