to refinish or not that is the question...

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by crowmadic, Jun 9, 2007.

1. crowmadic

crowmadic Mezzo Piano User

Oct 3, 2006
    I bought a 1964 Conn Victor 22B. It's easy to blow, has good pitch, good valves, and a very nice sound; good harmonics. The seller said it was originally gold/lacqure/brass finish before it was changed to silver by the previous owner. I like a mellow/dark sound and have a hunch that making it a raw brass finish would produce something magnificant. The silver finish is warn around the valve casing. What do my TM family members think of "nipping and tucking" this horn into a raw brass finish? ..............crow

2. screamingmorris

screamingmorris Mezzo Forte User

Apr 4, 2007
    Perhaps you could find someone who would do you an even trade for a comparable 22B in lacquer?

In the classified section of various trumpet Web sites post what you have and what you'd like to trade for.

- morris

3. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I don't think that removing the silver will significantly darken the tone, but will increase the cost of restoring the horn considerably.
    When buying a new horn, silver is purported to sound more "brilliant" than the laquer horns. I don't want to start anything here, but I think that silver doesn't brighten the tone, laquer dulls it. A raw brass or silverplated horn probably sound very close to one another and silver is easier to keep clean!
    If you are not the "silver" type, the idea of a trade sounds brilliant to me!

Last edited: Jun 10, 2007
  4. crowmadic

Oct 3, 2006
    The trade idea is great but Christine the Conn Loyalist said she has rarely seen a vintage Conn Victor 22B. I think the silver job that was done on it was mediocre, and there's wear on the valve casing. I'll explore the trade idea...........thanks

5. screamingmorris

screamingmorris Mezzo Forte User

Apr 4, 2007
    I vividly remember such a trumpet on sale in eBay in the last 3-4 months.
    A Conn circa 1964 which was silverplated circa 1967 by a previous owner, not the present owner who was selling it.
    But when I do a search of completed sales in eBay the ad does not come up.
    Does anybody know why such ads would fail to appear in eBay searches?

- morris

6. crowmadic

Oct 3, 2006
    I don't have an answer to your ebay question but I have a feeling it's my horn your referring to. It turned out to be a really nice horn, and I'm curious about why they went from brass to silver finish?