To refinished or not to refinish

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Adrianbyrne, Oct 6, 2012.

1. Adrianbyrne

Adrianbyrne Pianissimo User

Aug 18, 2010
    Oakville, Ontario
    That is my question:lol:

But seriously, I have a committee that I am thinking of refinishing, or maybe take it to raw brass, any thoughts?

Thanks everyone
    :-(

2. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Deluxe or straight brass? Deluxe WOULD NOT cost more to do because of the nickel parts, BUT, nickel without lacquer is a very dull, ugly grey. If it's straight brass, going raw isn't that big a deal. I am speaking purely from an aesthetic perspective. I prefer lacquer as the next two posts suggest.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2012
  3. SteveRicks

SteveRicks Fortissimo User

Aug 15, 2009
    Alabama
    If you have the body chemistry that tarnishes brass quickly, then you want to stay away from raw brass. The only horn I ever sold was an Olds Super in raw brass. Great player. Just couldn't stand the green hands and constant need to polish horn.

4. VetPsychWars

VetPsychWars Fortissimo User

Nov 8, 2006
    Greenfield WI
    Refinish it. The horn looks better and protects the brass from you and the elements.

Tom

5. acarcido

acarcido Forte User

Dec 28, 2009
    Ontario, Ca
    If you do decide to refinish. Make sure you send it to a reputable craftsman that will give that instrument the right touch. So it does cost a pretty penny but the end results are long term protection with its original beauty. Good luck.

6. Adrianbyrne

Adrianbyrne Pianissimo User

Aug 18, 2010
    Oakville, Ontario
    It is a deluxe.

7. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I say refinish it then.

8. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    1946 Martin Committee, Refinished by Tom Green. Turn around time, 4 weeks.

[​IMG]

Total cost: $300.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2012
  9. Kujo20

Kujo20 Forte User

Sep 29, 2010
    If you're a serious player and you're going to use the horn often, I would refinish it. If you're more of a collector and you're only going to play it now and again....I'd say keep it how it is.

Kujo

10. patkins

patkins Forte User

Nov 22, 2010
    Tuscaloosa, AL.
    Refinish it, but don't expect a turn around time of 4 weeks with Mr. Tom Green. When I inquired about mine it was more like 6 months. If you read the thread regarding Mr. Green, you will find that not many have received the immediate attention as good ole Dr. gmonady. Most even say their horn has been in his possession for over a year. He does excellent work, but excellence sometimes has a long waiting period and a greater expense. What distinguishes Mr. Green is he has a vintage lacquer, but others may not.

coolerdave likes this.