To refinished or not to refinish

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Adrianbyrne, Oct 6, 2012.

1. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I've been seeking advise from several resto guys regarding my Conn 12A. I told them my main concern was a "new penny pink" bell. Most all resto guys I talked to can use tinted lacquer for that vintage look.

2. ultratrumpet

ultratrumpet Piano User

Jul 10, 2009
    Old Lyme, Connecticut
    Sell it and get a better trumpet, a Mount Vernon Bach or either a vintage CG Benge or CG Selmer. Most of the pro's in the 1950's and 60's were not Committee lovers. They knew that the mystique that this horn enjoys today is excessive. I've played Committees, my Mt. Vernon Bach and French Besson Meha I had back then were much better horns. The Committee is a good horn but not a great one.

Let me guess who chimes in next?

Last edited: Oct 7, 2012
  3. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Hmm, not sure what to make of that statement. Owning 2 MC Deluxes, a 2 and 3 bore I find them to be exactly what they are billed to be. Great jazz horns. Wide slotting and mellowness are the MC's forte. Lousy for orchestral work (never heard anyone claim they were good for that) but great for small combo and solo work. I know plenty guys that have owned the horns you mentioned, some like them, some hate them. So what does that prove? Nothing.

4. Chuck Cox

Chuck Cox Forte User

Oct 3, 2008
    Cary NC
    Pros of the 50's and 60's that played Martin Committees....like uhhhh....Dizzy, Miles, Chet, Maynard,Bill Chase, Chris Botti. These guys were Committee lovers. I had to add Chris Botti even though he wasn't the 50's or 60's.....but he is the most downloaded instrumentalist in the world according to Columbia Records.

5. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    The guys/gals that own them and play them??

6. Chuck Cox

Chuck Cox Forte User

Oct 3, 2008
    Cary NC
    Nikolas has a clear and a gold tint lacquer if you want to do it yourself.

7. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    The refinishing is really about your goals .. if it's to resell ...well you probably need to do the math, I think you generally make less on the horn unless you got it dirt cheap. If it's about playing qualities you are probably safe as long as it's done by someone reputable.
    I have said this before but the variation in the few Committees I've played was huge. If I hadn't played Chuck's I wouldn't think that they were anything special. My older Holton 47 played more like what I consider a Committee should sound and play like then some of the ones I have tried.

8. nieuwguyski

nieuwguyski Forte User

Aug 9, 2004
    Santa Cruz County, CA
    Why would "the nickel parts" make a Deluxe more expensive to lacquer? The nickel parts aren't nickel-plated, you know. They're made of solid nickel silver, which refinishes just like brass: You prepare the surface and shoot lacquer.

9. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    D'oh, you're right. I was thinking silver and taping off and all that stuff. :stars::stars:

10. graysono

graysono Mezzo Forte User

Jan 22, 2007
    Hyde Park, Utah
    We don't seem yet to have the mystique that surrounds the treatment of old furniture. I recall an Antiques Roadshow episode in which someone had a Victorian piece of furniture and it was beautifully refinished. The appraiser asked what it looked like before the refinish job and was told: terrible. The appraiser then said in its current condition the piece was worth $20k and the purveyor was very satisfied until the appraiser said, that if the purveyor had not refinished it, its auction value would have been $200k.

Looks as though in our game it doesn't make much difference. I, too, am wondering what to do with the Committee I recently acquired. The old lacquer has that great old patina and is really in pretty great shape. But there are the areas where skin acid has worn the finish per usual. It plays beautifully. Why not leave it alone? But then, just think how wonderful it would look refinished in a shiny new coat. Hmm....