To sell or not to sell...

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by VetPsychWars, Aug 20, 2014.

1. strad116055

strad116055 Pianissimo User

May 27, 2014
    chicago
    a well-wisher told heifetz after a concert that his violin was "the greatest he had ever heard." heifetz held is violin up to his ear and replied, "that's funny, i don't hear anything."

2. Newell Post

Newell Post Piano User

Mar 31, 2014
    Silicon Valley
    "Trying to be happy be accumulating possessions is like trying to satisfy hunger by taping sandwiches all over your body."

-- George Carlin

Better to have one mediocre horn you actually play well than a whole closet full of great horns that sit idle.

3. tjcombo

tjcombo Mezzo Forte User

Nov 12, 2012
    Melbourne, Australia
    Tough call Tom.Thinking of thinning down my flock too, so I share your anguish.

Just wondering where you see your playing and where you want to go? Is your playing pretty much where you're happy (are we ever there :-)?) or are you still seeing improvement? The reason for the question is that I've found that free/open blowing horns seem to feel better as playing technique/efficiency/whatever improves (or conversely, more resistant horns don't seem to demand as much of you as a player). For me this has meant that a couple of horns that were harder work 12 months back are really nice to play now.

Getting back to your situation - if you're still working to improve as a player, the way this horn plays could suit you a whole lot better in the near future. Choose wisely, and let's face it, if you realise down the track you shouldn't have sold, you have an excuse to go shopping again :-)

4. bumblebee

bumblebee Fortissimo User

Jan 21, 2010
    Great Southern Land
    I have felt I have one or two horns too many and was gearing up to sell one when for a change I took that one to orchestra practice and found it suited the sound one piece needed (Sibelius 5th Symphony) better than my regular horn. Tricky.

--bumblebee

5. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Any excuse not to sell one of our little brass friends is a valid reason Bumbleebee.

6. Cornyandy

Cornyandy Fortissimo User

Jan 9, 2010
    East Yorkshire
    If money if not an object (which unfortunately it tends to be for me) I try to find a worthy person for it to gon on semi permanant loan to. Then I always know where it is if I need it.

7. VetPsychWars

VetPsychWars Fortissimo User

Nov 8, 2006
    Greenfield WI
    It looks like "keep" is the winner. I'll take it to Charlie for a cleaning and store it until I have a reason to take it out again.

Thanks for the comments.

Tom

8. Cornyandy

Cornyandy Fortissimo User

Jan 9, 2010
    East Yorkshire
    Very pleased you are keeing it Tom, on a different value level but I had to sell my John Packer 251 SW and have regretted it ever since. Even now I have the new Yammie which I love I still miss the Old JP. I am sure you would have been sorry sometime down the line

A

9. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    I am late to this one but I have thinned the collection down to 3 ( not counting the Old's Ambassador Baratone which I am definitely selling off soon) and have considered just keeping the Bach with intentions of buying a Flugel or??
    That being said, I have gotten emails from quite a few people who have bought horns from me and those trumpets have made their day .. which makes my day ... I think if you ( Tom) sold the horn to someone who was a kick ass player and totally dug it you might find that option acceptable.
    but
    Collecting is a valid hobby and we all know how much you enjoy it.

10. edfitzvb

edfitzvb Forte User

Jun 10, 2008
    Woodlawn, VA
    I was out and missed this originally, but what the heck.... here's my two cents. I have regretted selling several horns that I had to let go, but life does go on. I have three horns at present that I can use without reservation, so I am not suffering. If you decide sometime in the future to sell this or another instrument that has sentimental value or is particularly rare, take a NICE picture or make a display of the horn with you and frame it. That way it would still be "with" you. Understand that so far I have never had a horn "restored", and my horns show their wear like the old warriors that they are (my newest horn is a 1968 Recording.) Therefore my horns are not the eye candy that yours are. Having decided to keep this one for now, enjoy it. Best wishes