To sell or not to sell...

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by VetPsychWars, Aug 20, 2014.

1. Rapier

Rapier Forte User

Jul 18, 2011
    UK
    Good choice. I was persuaded to sell my flugel, that I had no longer any use for, to a professional player that would use it a lot. I've regretted selling every day since!

To add insult to my loss I got asked to play 1st trumpet in a pit orchestra for a two week run of Les Mis and there, in my part was the word Flugel! Had to use a cornet with a deep mouthpiece.

2. scipioap

scipioap Pianissimo User

Aug 11, 2012
    Boston
    For the rest of your life, whenever you get the inclination and time to play it, you conveniently can...even the hope and anticipation leading up to that scheduled play time can make life enjoyable. I think its analogous to why people own their favorite books vs. borrowing from the public library...<sigh> if only every town had a 'library' of vintage brass...

3. graysono

graysono Mezzo Forte User

Jan 22, 2007
    Hyde Park, Utah
    Good thread!
    Couple thoughts: Who says they have to be played every day? I just like to know they are there. Resale is the last thing on my mind when I buy. But like everything else, one's behavior changes with time, and context. That too, is always in the back of my mind somewhere.

4. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    The thing to remember is collected horns still need periodic care. "Everything worked when I put it away. I don't know why the slides are stuck"? I've purchased one horn ever with the "intention" of flipping. I still have it (waiting for the value to go up more! :roll:).

5. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    I have been chewed out (by PM) for being a rich guy, having so many horns, and flaunting them with pictures on various trumpet sites. It made me feel bad, but hey, I'm not rich. Sorry if and when I outbid someone here for a particular horn, but that's the way it goes.

That said, I have only kept the ones that play well and/or fit a certain genre of music (like the Civil War cornet). I don't play some of them very often, but they're there when I need them.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2014
  6. sj3209

sj3209 Piano User

Nov 22, 2006
    Amador County, Calif.
    Getting a hankering to play a really unique horn. Could be costly. Already owning that horn. Priceless!!

7. mike ansberry

mike ansberry Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Clarksville, Tennessee, U
    I, too have been thinking about selling some instruments that don't get used much. My '49 Super doesn't suit my playing. It is a very light, bright horn. Reminds me of my old Benge. But I hate to sell it. Such a cool horn. I am also consider selling my Eclipse MR. It isn't really different from my other horns. I sold an early 1900's Vega large bore #5 to Brad Goode a while back. It was a cool horn and played well, but didn't get played much. Even though it was a unique and cool horn, I don't miss it. I guess if I don't need the money I may as well keep them.

8. edfitzvb

edfitzvb Forte User

Jun 10, 2008
    Woodlawn, VA
    After all, "He who has the most toys wins"

Or something of that ilk

9. edfitzvb

edfitzvb Forte User

Jun 10, 2008
    Woodlawn, VA
    ....And it wouldn't be a lot of trouble to add a few more horns to my signature.

10. VetPsychWars

VetPsychWars Fortissimo User

Nov 8, 2006
    Greenfield WI
    I don't list all of mine, either. :-)

Tom