To trigger or not to trigger?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by 7cjbill2, May 17, 2012.

1. 7cjbill2

7cjbill2 Pianissimo User

Mar 18, 2012
    Athens, GA
    What's the consensus on adding triggers to horns? My Besson has 1st and 3rd slide triggers, and I love them, although I can't say the 1st is used very much but it's nice to have. I'm nearing the time to recondition my Severinsen (and adding a Pilczuk to it), with NO triggers but am considering having them added. What says those more experienced than me? Will the extra bracing and mass affect the tonal quality of the horn in a negative way?

2. edfitzvb

edfitzvb Forte User

Jun 10, 2008
    Woodlawn, VA
    The Severinsen changed over the years according to Doc's preferences at the time. I have heard that there was a time when a first valve trigger was available. I know that the water keys changed, as did the options for the tuning crook as the horn evolved.

3. patkins

patkins Forte User

Nov 22, 2010
    Tuscaloosa, AL.
    I'm sure there would be a minor variation tone anytime you add metal to metal; however, you can do whatever you like since it is your horn. You can use your embouchure to make up for the difference

4. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    Personally, I'm OK with either a 1st or 3rd trigger, but I don't like horns with both for some reason. I'm fine with a fixed ring on the slides, though - less weight and fewer parts.

5. A.N.A. Mendez

A.N.A. Mendez Utimate User

Oct 25, 2005
    Sunny Ca.
    All I know is when you pick up a horn you've never played,it is the second thing you do, if a horn has one or two, after "BRUMPING" the valves a couple times.....[​IMG]

6. johnande

johnande Pianissimo User

Jun 3, 2009
    western Wyoming
    7cjbill2... Please let us know how the Pilczuk works for you if/when you get it done... Like you, I play a Severinsen and a (Kanstul made) Besson Stamm model. I find the Severinsen to have the best intonation of any horn I have play tested, considerably superior to my Besson. In the case of my Severinsen, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" but I might consider the Pilczuk for the Besson. Keep us "posted." JA

7. bach37

bach37 Pianissimo User

Dec 1, 2011
    No trigger easier to clean.

8. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Finally! A thread "worthy" of my 5000th post (sorry G-man, beat you to Utimate' ROFL). Since I own a Severinsen Eterna w/o trigger and a 900H Eterna w/trigger I can tell you I rarely use the trigger. It looks cool but as many have discovered, the intonation is spot on. I do use the 3rd slide for low C# but that's it. I can't speak to your leadpipe switch, but I would keep the original just in case the Pilczuk doesn't work out (although I've never heard anything bad about them). If it makes it better... hmm! :D

9. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I don't like pushing against the spring of the trigger. Slide rings are the right answer for me.

10. Rapier

Rapier Forte User

Jul 18, 2011
    UK
    I'd never buy a cornet without triggers. Trumpet I'd prefer them, but put up with the rings.