To trigger or not to trigger?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by 7cjbill2, May 17, 2012.

1. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    1+

My '74 Strad came with a 1st valve trigger. I didn't know better at the time, and the trigger looked cool.

But pushing the trigger would cause the trumpet to tilt a little compensate. This, at times, had the potential to disrupt the note I was playing. I tried relaxing the spring, so there was less tension. But this didn't correct the problem. I got rid of the trigger a couple years ago.

Mike

Last edited: May 18, 2012
  2. trumpetsplus

trumpetsplus Fortissimo User

Jun 11, 2006
    South Salem, NY
    A trigger mechanism is a lot of metal not involved in note production, and it certainly affects the response (normally negatively).

I have removed more triggers for players who wanted improved response than I have installed new ones. Pretty much the only triggers I am ever asked to install are on Flugelhorn 3rd slides.

3. smokin valves

smokin valves Pianissimo User

Sep 11, 2011
    My pilczuk leadpipe does exactly what it says on the website, including negating the use of triggers. Your results may be different, so i would suggest getting the pilczuk fitted and then looking to get triggers put on. Remember triggers and custom leadpipes are fine unless you want to sell the horn, when they can reduce value. If you have no intention of selling, go for it! You will never know until you try it.

4. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    You're supposed to use the pinky ring to mash the horn into your face when you know you have to use the 1st trigger. That way, your balance isn't upset. :roll:

5. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    :D