To what degree can flugelhorn improve you trumpet

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by frankmike, Feb 24, 2010.

1. frankmike

frankmike Piano User

Dec 5, 2008
    Hi, I have been playing flugelhorn extensively for the past few weeks. I must admit I am struggling a bit, BUT my trumpet playing improved

Now is it only perception because when swiching to trumpet I struggle no more, or can practicing flugelhorn really improve your trumpet playing

2. oljackboy

oljackboy Pianissimo User

Feb 26, 2009
    Falls Church, Virginia
    Just an opinion...To me, the much deeper cup in my flugelhorn and cornet mouthpieces calls for more strength in the higher register. To play on top of the pitch above the staff calls for more compression than my shallower trumpet piece. In that way, the flugelhorn does seem to help. Of course the sound concept is very different, and that difference may offset the calisthenics of the deeper cup. Your mileage may vary.

3. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    I find the instruments to be separate. The Flugel more difficult to play "In Tune", and up top is not where I want to be. High C, D,E, about it. Not an instrument for screaming.

If it is helping your trumpet playing, then good for you:thumbsup:

I really do not play Flugel to get any side benefit on trumpet, except maybe to help me play in tune as I have listened more closely on Flugel. The mpce is different and the sound is different in my head as well; so maybe I am just a poor choice to comment. I play each as a separate horn, and swap around regularly when practicing.

If you get a benefit, then I think you are doing OK.

4. Cornyandy

Cornyandy Fortissimo User

Jan 9, 2010
    East Yorkshire
    Even if its a placebo effect then I agree with Peter, I enjoy playing all my instruments if nothing else I practice more for it, different music on Cornet, Flugel and Trumpet. Even if you only think you are getting some benefit then you won't be doing any harm

Cheers

Andrew

5. ewanmains

ewanmains Piano User

Jun 9, 2009
    Kilmarnock, UK
    Mine slots a double c nicer than my vintage one!:shhh:

6. Peter McNeill

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    I love Flugel, and I have watched James Morrison live at many gigs, and I have never seen him go above a High G. I think Chuck M manages a High A somewhere, but to be slotting Double Cs on Flugel; Wow you are something pretty special.

I cannot even hear that in my head....and not sure I want to either.
    Keep slotting...

7. frankmike

frankmike Piano User

Dec 5, 2008
    thank you for your replys

What I have learned for the past few weeks is that

1. pedal tones sound nicer on flugel, on trumpet they sound like diesel engine

2. I can reach high C easier on flugel than on trumpet (wired!?!?)

3. I struggle when trying to hit a note that is half an octeve apart, for eg D to B (concert pitch) is extremly dificult, usually I end up on G instead on B (same fingering)

4. when I put trumpet MPC on flugel, nothing dramatical happens (I expected it to sound more like a cornet, according to some quotes around the web))

8. Peter McNeill

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    BTW, I am hoping to have a croissant and a Latte in Paris Before I die, Drive a Ferrari Mondena at in Italy and Slot a Double C on call on Trumpet.... That will bring a smile to this old face, and I will die happy....

I am afraid I am not rich, but can scrounge up a few hundred K, maybe even hock a house or two to afford a Ferrari, But sadly even though i can hear the Double C in my head, she just does not materialise.

But I am not alone. I know a few players who play for a living, the horn is their salary, and they dream the same dream. So I am in good company stuck with at High Gs and High A's.

Sometimes I just feel inadequate on this forum, but it's nice to be amongst friends and gifted younger Generations..

9. Peter McNeill

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    Hi frankmike,
    What brand of Flugel do you play?
    My trumpet mouthpiece don't fit in the hole on mine...probably a dud flugel.

The intervals is interesting.

10. Peter McNeill

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    Gee I just tried all 25 trumpet mouthpieces...none fit...dang