To what degree can flugelhorn improve you trumpet

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by frankmike, Feb 24, 2010.

1. trumpetnick

trumpetnick Fortissimo User

Nov 16, 2005
    Vidin, Bulgaria
    Frank must have a german taper on his flugel which is almost identical to trumpet

2. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    I just noticed another post; maybe he was inserting the mpce without the lead-pipe in.
    That may explain the strange interval issues as well.

3. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    Bloody hard to play in tune...

4. ewanmains

ewanmains Piano User

Jun 9, 2009
    Kilmarnock, UK
    lol! - TBH, it sounds ok. Not what you'd want to hear in a ballad, but just ok. Fine if I get carried away on a jazz gig.

I think perhaps practising on flugel requires a different discipline than trumpet. I always find flugel needs slightly more air support. This may be why the OP finds it easier to play trumpet after blowing on flugel for a while.

(P.S. I ain't anything special BTW.):play:

5. frankmike

frankmike Piano User

Dec 5, 2008
    this one: Roy Benson FH-302G « Flugelhorn « Trumpets « Brass & Woodwind « Musik Produktiv

its nothing special, but it is good value for money, economical flugel, also has a lot of red brass, sounds mellow. fine piece of instrument. valves are a bit dodgy thouhg, need lot of oil

6. frankmike

frankmike Piano User

Dec 5, 2008
    ???

I can put trumpet MPC into it w/o any issue

Flugel MPC is shorter though, almost half the lenght of trumpet MPC, but it doesnt matter it goes in, although it lenghtens the overall length of the pipe by maybe additional 1 centimeter

7. frankmike

frankmike Piano User

Dec 5, 2008
    what do you mean, I have no idea what to do with lead pipe, so I positioned it completely inside, nothing sticks out.

Should I pull it out a bit?

8. Jarrett

Jarrett Piano User

Nov 11, 2003
    Richland, MO
    That's how you tune a flugel.

9. Buck with a Bach

Buck with a Bach Fortissimo User

Dec 29, 2009
    Canton, Ohio
    By any chance is that horn made in China? Does the trumpet mouthpiece fit to the same depth as the supplied mouthpiece that came with the horn? No wiggles/snug fit?
    Reason I'm asking is i have a Selman flugle that was made in China. while trying to get a mouthpiece in a diameter that I'm comfortable with, I talked to Extreme mouthpieces founder about my problem with the shanks on standard pieces not fitting in this horn. He made the suggestion to try one of my trumpet pieces. I did, and found the shank fit perfect, and the insertion depth was the same as the piece supplied with the horn. what they did was make a flugle cup piece with a trumpet shank/taper. By doing this, none of the usual three shank styles would fit it. He had run into this for several other customers before. He made me up a piece to the specs I wanted and put the trumpet taper/shank with the flugle length. works beautifully and the suggestions he made for darkening the tone somewhat worked like a charm. .......Buck:oops:

10. The Dutch Guy

The Dutch Guy Piano User

Sep 22, 2008
    Netherlands
    I got some dutch brand flugel (not very good), and my trumpet mp fits.