Today I finished my dental work

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Ed Lee, Aug 10, 2011.

1. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Yes, today I got my lower partial denture, that with my new full upper denture now allows me to again center my mpc and really lay into my second comeback following all my health and dental issues. I didn't have dental insurance, so making this final payment makes it a stretch until more money is deposited in our account.

I'll just thank all of you for your support through my miserys.

2. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    Hi Ed,

I am thrilled to see that is now done and over (better you than me - I hate dentists, but still have the 6 monthly checks), and you can again re-focus your efforts on the Comeback, and getting things sorted for a local band (??maybe??).

Keep well, and keep us up to date on your progress.

Cheers

3. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    +1

4. Buck with a Bach

Buck with a Bach Fortissimo User

Dec 29, 2009
    Canton, Ohio
    :thumbsup::oops:

5. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    ONYA Ed - pick up that trumpet - now you have something to get your teeth into ..... ROFL. Yeah! Yeah! Not funny :dontknow:.

6. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    Way to go, Ed!! Now you'll be tootin' up a storm!!

I am very happy for you!!

7. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Good to hear that! You are truly an inspiration! Many lesser a man would have given up long ago!!:thumbsup:

8. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Yup, lots of music on my agenda now. When I got home from the dentist yesterday, I played straight through the beginners Standards of Excelllence Books 1 thru 3. 4 & 5 I may play today. The rationale for this is that I'll be tutoring 6 (so far signed up) students on trumpet this fall.

Recently, I've been monitoring the practice sessions of a local Jackson NC country music band ... really a genre of music that is almost non-existant in my repertoire but is the primary one of what goes in this area, the other 2 being blue grass and gospel. I am in a quandry as to how to put brass into the blue grass sound and have all but eliminated the possibility of Bb and C trumpets, but am leaving open for now the picc and the potential of a flugel (the latter I don't yet play or have). I guess I'll just have to compose my own song in that genre. While maybe not always lead, I can forsee a trumpet in country music.

Too, I'm extending myself in acquiring pre-owned student quality band instruments, getting them rehabbed to good playability and re-selling them to a start-up private music school in nearby Roanoke Rapids. The owner of this school is also the instrumental music instructor and band director of Northampton (County NC) West High School. In the wind is a merger of Northampton West and East High Schools as involves construction of an all new high school. Well, in this economy it won't happen for the 2011-12 school year, and is almost as unlikely to happen any year later that I'll know of, but the facilities of both schools are presently in deteriorating and detrimental condition.

Third, I'm prepping for a church solo and fourth, joining a community band being organized by the foregoing private music school but that has hit a stall in the "escape" of the percussion instructor to pursue his master's degree.

Lastly, I'm compiling a repertoire for the potential of my own 7 piece ensemble that will be 20% big band, 20% 50s favorites, 20% country, 20% current favorites, and 20% a mix of jazz and and anything else. Suggestions welcome!

Otherwise, it's back to the "grind" of routine practice sessions to retrieve my prior capability and improve thereupon. Such is not really a "grind", but it is an essential regimen that I really am enjoying. Already had a 1 hour go this morning before my wife woke up with my Silent Brass mute, another planned later this afternoon and possibly another later tonight.

P.S. I live in Jackson as is the county seat of Northampton County NC whose Northern border is the VA-NC line and lays East of I-95 approx 16 miles on U.S. 158.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2011
  9. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Veery, musicwise ... see my post above. With just the top full denture I had to position my mpc off center to the left as affected my range and endurance and otherwise was just plainly a bad idea. I'm also well aware that my endurance is not and possibly never again will be what it once was but I'll make do with whatever it will be and am enjoying what I can do. Unlike others, I am not a seeker of the double high C on a normal Bb, whereas I've found it is a "piece of cake" on the picc. No, I've not yet resumed practice on my picc or on my mellophone, T-bone, or euph and may postpone such for another month or so ... maybe even until next year ... only time will tell.

Steak last night for supper was a delight! Other news via our other connection later ... I'm going to be busy playing.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2011
  10. JediYoda

JediYoda Mezzo Piano User

Sep 25, 2010
    State of Confusion
    hang tough!! I know knock on wood I haven`t had to worry about dental work.

I am very happy for you!!