Today I finished my dental work

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Ed Lee, Aug 10, 2011.

1. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    ..... and in his spare time Ed is doing a combined Business / Law double undergraduate degree by distance learning. :shock:

2. ComeBackKid

ComeBackKid Fortissimo User

May 11, 2009
    Yorba Linda, CA
    Ed, now we expect a post in the "TM Member Sound Clips" link.

3. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    Good on you Ed. I now about the teeth thing on trumpet. My upper right front tooth is bonded to correct a recessed tooth that cause me a lot of problems. If you get good results when you first pick the horn up, you're home free.

As far as bluegrass trumpet, back inthe 60s and 70s there was a group out of Nashville called Danny Davis and the Nashville Brass. If you can find anything about them it may help.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2011
  4. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    No, just two nights a week at Halifax Community College to prep in NC criminal law for the prospect of being appointed an alternate county magistrate. I already have a degree in Justice Administration. If appointed this year I'll be able to deduct the cost of same on my taxes. Pay is based on case count. Mostly traffic violations before midnight, or a holding cell until after 8:00 AM or Monday AM if apprehended on Sunday. 6 more weeks to go.

5. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    :worthy: Ed. I am unworthy to comment in your post. May the Gods of Teeth and Trumpets smile on you.

6. Teledmd

Teledmd New Friend

Jul 20, 2011
    Ed,
    As a dentist, from what is sounds like, you are doing extremely well. In my experience, attitude makes up 90 percent of the outcome. Keep up the great work!

7. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Teledmd, Thanks! My dentist has been Dr. Steve Hoffman of Hoffman & Arhur in Roanoke Rapids NC. A full upper denture and a partial lower denture with all the preparatory extractions and a few fillings has not been easy on my very limited funds and "making do" (my motto) and accomodating all this dental work is a new concept for me and yet it is not feeling all that normal to me. However, Dr. Hoffman has played cornet and the frontal areas of these dentures even I can tell are reinforced towards the placement of a mouthpiece. Prior, I had an upper partial augmented by 3 crowns, one supporting that denture. They were 50+ years old and all broke off at the gum line the first, an upper right incisor that first halted by comeback, and then the other two click, click. I only had 3 natural teeth left, and one of these was so decayed he recommended extraction. I then stated extract them all. Hed did and also got those 3 crown roots in one whack. Although he prescribed Lortabs, I have a standing prescription for them. Still I didn't need to take any.

I had only received my full upper denture and was thrilled that I was asked and could again sound Taps once with my mpc a bit off center to the left, as soon followed that I was set to play George M. Cohan's You're a Grand Old Flag following the Star Spangled Banner (the SSB either to sung or played by another) at our 4th of July county celebration here when violent T-storm weather cancelled the entire celebration. I've since sounded Taps again and am practicing some Christian songs in preparation for a church solo possibly next month.
    Anyway, the only disconcerting circumstance I'm now noticing is the unfamilar click when I bring my teeth together. Is a valve key loose on my trumpet or is it my new teeth?

Yesterday, my wife gave me a new music stand, a solid one I've been wanting for years whereas before I've always been using the student fold-ups. Such was just one of our 44th anniversary gifts from her. She tells me I'll look more professional as I teach these beginning students this year and I responded, "Yeah, with my new teeth!"

8. Buck with a Bach

Buck with a Bach Fortissimo User

Dec 29, 2009
    Canton, Ohio
    My hat's off to you, Ed. You're not letting any moss grow on ya:thumbsup:

9. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Hair grows on my face, but I'm losing it on top. Thanks Buck.

I'm goimg to take a special test Tuesday evening August 16, 2011, the results as may reduce the course time I've left to just 2 weeks instead of 6 weeks. Such they tell me was due to an error on their part in evaluating my creds and experience. I spoke with one of the regular magistrates and he told me you really don't Need to know NC law, as the officer(s) or attorney presenting the case must write what code number is violated,
    and then its just a chart reference and time as to disposition.

10. ChopsGone

ChopsGone Forte User

Jan 26, 2009
    Northern California
    Congratulations and good luck. It sounds like your new teeth are working well for you. I went through a complete reconstruction over a year ago (one implant, several bridges, several crowns, not a natural tooth anywhere) and it's been a challenge. Where I've found problems has been in tonal quality (losing a bit of volume in the oral cavity has sent me into deeper mouthpieces trying to recapture the sound I'd like to think I once had) and articulation (not being able to feel what I'm doing nearly as well as I did with natural teeth has made light, clean articulation a lot more difficult - and the deeper mouthpieces don't help, either). If you've gotten back into shape without any significant complications, you're probably well on your way to getting back to top form.