Today I finished my dental work

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Ed Lee, Aug 10, 2011.

1. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Well, I feel I'm still a long way from regaining my former capability. Prior, I never had a problem with any mpc and now don't think I have either, but then I've not now yet played all that I have including those for T-bone / euph and tuba / Sousaphone. While I diddled a bit on cornet the day before yesterday with a Parduba, I didn't push my luck to practice my Schilke P5-4 with it. Whatever, I'm enjoying just getting back vis I'm not dead yet.

2. SteveB

SteveB Mezzo Piano User

Nov 15, 2008
    Prescott Valley, AZ
    Ed, you're an inspiration to all of us comeback players. :play:

And, congrats on your dental success. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

3. trptlvr

trptlvr New Friend

Dec 23, 2011
    Toronto ON Canada
    I had an extensive titanium/ceramic apparatus built for me by Dr JackTrain in Toronto. As I am diabetic, I could not have implants so it was constructed to bridge to the remaining crowned bottom roots after several smaller partials could not do the job. I have gotten another 10 years of playing so far. The only peculiar effect was the loss of the ability to flutter tongue. Take it from me - neglect your teeth and gums and you will lose them. Stop smoking and floss: if you saw what I had to go through and the very large dollar sums you would pick up your toothbrush now!!

4. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Trmptlvr, I could have just entered a "+1", but knowing all the dental work I went through in 2011, I empathize with you. I too once had a mouth full of partials and crowns and now have just 4 natural lower teeth left. As too, I'm also diabetic and required root extractions where crowns broke at the gum line plus many other tooth extractions the pace was slow, tedius, and painful. As without dental insurance, I could easily otherwise have bought a Monette trumpet and a decent Flugelhorn.
    Well, I could have only if my wife would have agreed, and such would never have her agreement nor do I really don't need more instruments.

I don't understand it, but all my dental work left me thick tongued amd unable to effectively use my tongue for anything including a flutter, but more severely my articulation. Patience and perseverence with time passage and such mostly returns with practice.

Yes, take care of your teeth, brush and floss a minimum of twice daily plus before you play an instrument. Above all, acquire dental insurance. Only then is there a chance you'll not go through the hell and pain of extensive dental work we've had to.