Today....I just put it back in the case.

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by shooter, Sep 29, 2012.

1. shooter

shooter Piano User

Jan 12, 2007
    VA
    How depressing it is to know that I've been playing over 25 years, and today, I utterly and genuinely SUCKED! My lips just refused to vibrate above G and everything under was airy. Of all the things in life that I do on a regular basis, playing trumpet is the only one that can really piss me off! I played golf once with a really great player who had a bad hole and threw his very expensive club in the water hazard...... I know exactly how he feels. *sigh*

2. jiarby

jiarby Fortissimo User

May 7, 2011
    Arizona
    Happens to everyone, even great players!

At a recent concert here in Phx, Arturo Sandoval made several comments anout how difficult playing trumpet was. he said "It is always a fight... Sometimes I win, and sometimes the trumpet wins", and "I dunno who's gonna win tonight, but I'm going to try!"

Then he peeled off the famous triple C lick from the end of "A Night in Tunisia".

Arturo won.

3. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    Shooter --- YES --- what are you going to do???? JUST QUIT??? when you look at the number of comebackers on TM, we all quit!!! for one reason or another!!! WE ALL CAME BACK ALSO!!!
    wait until tomorrow -- try it again!!! MAYBE you win tomorrow --- maybe NOT ---- BUT IF YOU QUIT!!! the trumpet finally beat you!!!!!!!!!

4. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    It does happen to everyone, and when it does, I find running the water hazzard through the horn make everything all right again.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2012
  5. prls1power

prls1power Piano User

Feb 11, 2012
    Orlando, FL
    He is the loudest trumpet player i've ever heard in person. I LOVE THAT GUY! :wub:

6. shooter

shooter Piano User

Jan 12, 2007
    VA
    Thanks for the encouragement guys. If it was easy, everybody would be playing trumpet right? I went to my daughter's marching band competition, and that put everything into perspective. All those kids were out there just having fun. That's what it's about. You just gotta enjoy what you do, and accept that you are, in fact, human. Getting ready to go to church and do it again.

7. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    YES, I think sometimes we get caught up in Arban's, Clarke, Schlossberg and such (OK, a lot of others do that --- I stashed my copies in the back of the closet), and then we forget the real reasons we all play the trumpet. MY REASONS ARE DIFFERENT than other peoples, I suspect yours are too. AS a hobbyist, and a community band player, sometimes a church soloist --- MY GOALS in a comeback 4 years ago were rather simple -- TO ENJOY THE TRUMPET, and TO BE THE BEST TRUMPET PLAYER I CAN BE ----------------which is obviously different than being the best trumpet player ever!!!!!!!!!
    all the best my friend --- keep playing and being happy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dupac likes this.
  8. BachStrad1

BachStrad1 Pianissimo User

Apr 9, 2012
    Kalamazoo MI
    Had a day just like that myself a few weeks ago. Working nights has not agreed with me and I was regularly on the verge of passing out whle playing (almost dropped my Conn on the cement floor). It's just one day, although at the time it feels like the world. Let it go and come back at again tomorrow...and tomorrow...and etcetera. I came back because life without music was like living in black and white. A horrible day with my trumpets is still better than the days when I couldn't play.

9. Phil986

Phil986 Forte User

Nov 16, 2009
    Near Portland, OR.

YAY!! :D :thumbsup: :play: :play: :play: :thumbsup: :-P

10. larry tscharner

larry tscharner Forte User

Apr 30, 2010
    dubuque iowa
    You will never be able to enjoy really nailing it if you dont have something bad to compare it to. We all "blow" sometimes and it is SOOO sweet to really "blow" the other times. I feel your pain though. Best wishes for a vastly improved tomorrow.