Today's practice session

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by dorkdog, Oct 27, 2012.

1. dorkdog

dorkdog Pianissimo User

Oct 14, 2012
    Pencil-Tucky
    Egads I'm actually makin' progress!

I've decided to start picking out passages from songs I recognize and start playing them by ear then writing them down in notation once I have figured them out.

Today I did 2... to warm up I messed around with "All my Lovin" after hearing Alpert's version, then I went into the theme music from "Star Trek".

The melody line starting on open G works out those harmonic intervals I struggle with (starts out with a slur to F?), and helps to increase my range. I cannot get to the high note at the climax of the snippet yet but I will... I think it may be a G#..

I'm almost getting comfortable with E-F up there and open G up there is a stone's throw away. I can tongue it briefly but cannot yet slur to it. Remember, by 'up there' I mean just at the top of the staff not where you pro guys hang up there an octave higher...:oops:

Now, playing middle C and D are just as facile as any notes below them... I have extended my range!!!!!

Now I know what the future will bring... I imagine it will go on like this ad infinitum but of course the acquisition of new notes and comfort levels will slow down over time I imagine.

I'm starting to figure out how my embouchure works by paying attention to what gets tired first. Can't put it into words but what gets tired first is what I have to develop.

It sure is fun getting back into it as a comebacker - what I really enjoy is the speed at which facility and musical thought processes return - even after so many years - now if only my fingers and embouchure could cash the checks my brain is writing!

Last edited: Oct 27, 2012
  2. Comeback

Comeback Forte User

Jun 22, 2011
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Progress

Congratulations on your improvement, dorkdog. This trumpet playing stuff is a blast, isn't it? After over 16 months on my own comeback trail, daily practice remains one of the high points of my day. Concerning rapid increases in range, I am experiencing what you are anticipating. The key for me is appreciation of improving technique and tone related to notes I own as I continue making "payments" on those I am acquiring. Dexterity does return, even to aged fingers! What you are doing with songs is interesting. I have done some of that too. But I work hard with Arban's for much of my practice sessions (not an endorsement, there are many other method books). I have found that working on various exercises while listening closely really helps improve articulations, general execution and tone quality. Best wishes to you as you continue to come back!
    Jim

3. jiarby

jiarby Fortissimo User

May 7, 2011
    Arizona
    You can buy a great USB & MIDI capable electronic keyboard for just a couple hundred bucks that will really aid your ear training and transcription.
    Plug it into your PC, launch your favorite music notation app and then start transcribing.

I bought a Yamaha YPG-235 thsi week for this purpose and also to play chords when practicing improvisation scales. It is one thing to see a page that has a ii-V-I in Bb and then mechanically learn the scales and arpeggios.. but I think it would be SUPER beneficial to HEAR the chords at the same time!

Consider getting a cheapie kbd! Your wife will like that you can plug headphones into it! LOL

4. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    While learning to play by ear is a tremendous asset, IMO learning to read and transpose music is greater and much moreso if you can sight read music for other keyed instruments and play them on your Bb trumpet / cornet. The big thing about playing by ear is the recognition of tones viz you are more apt to play the right notes that you read.