Tokyo Kosei Wind Orchestra

Discussion in 'Orchestra / Solo / Chamber Music' started by Tootsall, Oct 31, 2005.

1. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    I recently became aware of this group and have been listening to some of their music. They seem to have originated as a brass band but "transmogrified" themselves into a wind orchestra. They've done a couple of tours but are apparently sticking close to the recording studio.

Perhaps because of their Japanese heritage they have (what I think) an interesting interpretation on some of the "wind band standards" (Reed, Grainger, movie themes, etc). Not really weird interpretations but rather some twists in the arrangements that I haven't heard from any of the "traditional" composer/arrangers.

The problem is that I can't seem to find any more than that about them. Anybody have any information? heard them live? can provide a website? I'd like to know more.

2. Jimi Michiel

Jimi Michiel Forte User

Mar 22, 2005
    Boston
    Football,

I think as war as wind ensembles go, they're about as good as it gets. I remember listening to their recording of Lincolnshire Posey when I played it in high school and it was phenomenal (except that the big flugelhorn solo was given to a soprano saxophone).

Fredrick Fennel was there for a long time. He basically wrote the book on wind ensembles (he created the first one while he was at Eastman) and, along with Frank Battisti, is in large part responsible for the current state of chamber wind bands in the US. If you like Kosei, you should also check out Fennel with the Cleveland Winds (the wind section of the Cleveland Orchestra) doing both Holst Suites and an arrangement of royal fireworks.

-Jimi

3. trmptr

trmptr Pianissimo User

May 10, 2005
    Bemidji, MN
    I heard them live at the Midwest Clinic a couple years ago. Amazing band! Fennell conducted them and it was truly a memorable experience.

4. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Football?

What the...?

Is it a bit early and have we been out a bit late, Jimi?

ML

5. Jimi Michiel

Jimi Michiel Forte User

Mar 22, 2005
    Boston
    That's what happens when I try to post and watch Monday Night Football at the same time.
    -Jimi

6. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    *chuckle* I was wondering the same thing, Manny. I figured maybe Jimi was trying his hand at Cockney rhyming slang. :dontknow:

Doesn't matter... it's all good. :-)

7. tpter1

tpter1 Forte User

Jan 12, 2005
    Northern New York
    Toots- go to www.stormworld.com and click the link for Musashi. Then click the excerpt link. You'll hear them. Oh...turn your speakers up! :D

8. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    Couldn't find a link for Musashi. Had to do a search and then all I found were editorial comments, scores for sale (on European site) and that was it. Can you provide a more direct link? THanks

9. tpter1

tpter1 Forte User

Jan 12, 2005
    Northern New York
    Sorry 'bou that. (Hagrid immitation). When you get to the site, click to enter it by rolling over the image of David and the pyramids (should change to a text in Latin when you roll over) and click the text. You'll get into the site, and in the center column click on the 6th bullet point.

10. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    Ahh.... very nice, Glen. Thanks a bunch. Might have to buy that to hear the whole thing!