Tom Harrell's "Wise Children"

Discussion in 'Jazz / Commercial' started by TangneyK, Mar 10, 2004.

1. TangneyK

TangneyK Pianissimo User

Nov 10, 2003
    Phoenix, AZ
    Just recieved my copy from www.towerrecords.com, and I'm listening to it for the first time as I write this.

I've got mixed feelings. It's definitely not "my" Tom Harrell. A lot of it is kind of like where Miles left off in the 80's. Interesting, but not my cup-o-tea. Suprisingly though, I'm really enjoying the writing. (Does that make sense?)

I'd love to hear someone else's opinion on this album, and I'm sure I'll post again once I've listened to the whole thing.

--Kevin

2. Lawler Bb

Lawler Bb Piano User

Oct 25, 2003
    Milwaukee, WI
    I've had it since Christmas and I really enjoy it. No, it doesn't have the best I've heard from Harrell, but yes, the writing is wonderful. Plus, I am a big fan of all of the vocalists on the album. Overall, a great record, IMHO.

3. TangneyK

TangneyK Pianissimo User

Nov 10, 2003
    Phoenix, AZ
    Alright, so I've had time to "digest" this album, and I gotta hand it to Tom... It's great. Not my favorite, but still superb. I heard he's recording again at the Village Vanguard sometime soon. Can't wait.

--Kevin

4. jazzalive

jazzalive New Friend

Nov 9, 2003
    SF Bay Area
    Wise Children... Understated and classy!

I've had this CD for some time now. I love the relaxed, understated approach Mr. Harrell takes on this release. His tone is so relaxed. He never over does it and just seems so in touch with what he wants to express. I rate this one a 9 out of 10.

Tim