Tomasi Concerto for Trumpet

Discussion in 'Orchestra / Solo / Chamber Music' started by reversedlead, Oct 20, 2005.

1. reversedlead

reversedlead New Friend

Jul 10, 2005
    Seattle
    Hey Manny!

Its Brandon again.

Another Style question, because by word of mouth, i have heard that your are the style master.

Okay... So I got this piece today, and would really like to play it for Solo Ensemble... and I have found in reading this piece, that it is a

TROLL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :troll:

Sounds cool... but is really hard,

So actually 3 Questions:

1) How do you go about learning a piece (do you have a method?), when you get a new one that you've never seen before

2) What kind of style tips should I know for this piece?

3) I have a fairly new (well brand new horn, and fairly new to me) C Trumpet. It is a Getzen 3071 Custom. I love the horn, but I havent quite acclimated to it... How do you acclimate to a new horn so you can switch more efficiently?

Brandon

PS ALL OTHERS FEEL FREE TO CHIME IN!

2. fundenlight

fundenlight New Friend

Aug 2, 2005
    My advice would be to find a recording of it. I know there are recordings of Wynton and Maurice. Listening should answer all of your questions (minus acclimation issues). When I started playing on a C the best advice I got to acclimate myself to it was simply practice. If you don't practice on your Bb for awhile things go downhill right? So don't take time off of your C either.
    On a getzen related note, at ITG in Denver the best C trumpet that I tried was the Edwards.

3. Rgale

Rgale Mezzo Forte User

Jun 16, 2005
    Here is advice I got from Hardenberger on this , or any other piece of great diffuculty.
    You practice it very slow, and very soft.

It works, but it does require patience. And listen to recordings of it. Andre, Hardenberger, etc.

4. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    There are a few stages for learning this piece.

The first stage involves getting out a metronome and going through its various sections at a very moderate tempo so that you put the sound of each and every note in your ear. In time, if you do this, you can do a lot of practicing the notes without the horn. This'll be key for the days you're fatigued but want to continue playing. It also develops confidence for your C trumpet playing. get out your Arban and Clarke's and the C trumpet. Practice the extended solos in the back of the book; cornet solos, too. Listen to how much worse your intonation will be and start taking the necessary steps to fix that, new mouthpiece or false fingerings if you don't want to get another mouthpiece. The point is you have to play in tune and centered or it's a drag to play.

It's a French piece and should be played in a French style. That's why André's recording is my favorite. A nice peppery style, lighter sound, appropriately faster vibrato, dramatic cadenzas... all these elements make for a nice performance. The second movement is wonderfully rhapsodic and you'll have lots of room to express yourself in a post-impressionistic way. Third movement: light and flashy, airy brilliance.

You're in high school? Have fun...

ML

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Forte User

Oct 21, 2003
    Find different ways to practice it without killing your chops. Sing it; finger the notes while articulating and blowing slow, warm air through the horn. Make sure that you're centered and all of the notes are down in the middle of the slot. This piece is a killer if the high notes go higher than they should!

6. robertwhite

robertwhite Mezzo Piano User

Nov 11, 2003
  7. bftrumpet

bftrumpet New Friend

Sep 30, 2004
    Miami, Florida
    You beat me to it!

You have to have the solid foundation there before you start to work on a piece like the Tomasi Concerto! Please read Chris Gekker's article and follow his advice.

Ben Fairfield

8. reversedlead

reversedlead New Friend

Jul 10, 2005
    Seattle
    OK Update...

I was practicing it slowly today... which is very hard (gritted teeth)

Then I asked myself two questions.

1) Will I be able to prepare this in 4 months to my full ability and be able to play it correctly?

and

2) Will I be able to play this piece the whole way through and keep the style?

the answer to both... NO!

So, I will wait (a very long time) to do this piece...

Additionally, I would like to do it with an orchestra, instead of piano, because it sounds so much better.

I'm thinking I will do the Kent Kennan sonata, its more relaxing, and easier to play, and the range isnt very bad at all. But will this be acceptable for state solo?

Brandon

9. cornetguy

cornetguy Mezzo Forte User

Sep 12, 2005
    Saint Paul, MN

looking at the current Wisconsin list, Tomasi is not on it Kennan is, they want to hear either movement 1 or 3 (time considerations WI only gets 8-10 minutes per student) however preparing the whole solo will be good for you. If your state has a required solo list make sure it is on it.s

Having said all that as an adjudicator, I would rather hear high school students doing French conservatory solos, or the Arban or Clarke solos. Clarke solos are on the Wisconsin list.