Tomasi Concerto?

Discussion in 'Orchestra / Solo / Chamber Music' started by Meldog, Nov 24, 2004.

1. Meldog

Meldog Pianissimo User

Nov 24, 2004
    Blaine, ME
    I have just begun working on this piece and was trying to find some background info on the piece. I'm just looking for bigraphical info or just anyhting that offers some insight on the piece. Also, if you have any tips from experience on learning the piece I'd love to hear those also. Thanks!!
    Adam Metzler

2. pwillini

pwillini Pianissimo User

Mar 4, 2004
    Kalamazoo, MI
    I heard this piece done in September by Scott Thornburg, Prinicpal Trumpet of the Kalamzoo Symphony Orchestra. Raymond Harvey, the KSO Musical Director did a 10 minute discussion prior to the concert about the piece. See the KSO @ http://www.kalamazoosymphony.com to contact Meistro Harvey.

Scott Thornburg also teaches at Western Michigan University School of Music, his email is [email protected]. With some persuasive questions he may be willing (he's more than able) to help you. Please keep in mind he has finals week coming up soon, I don't know how soon you'd like more info.

As you've no doubt found out, it's not an easy piece of music, nor is it the usual trumpet repetoire! Meistro Harvey said Scott tried more than 18 different mutes to get the sound he wanted during the performance, he settled on three. Quite fun watching him switch during the performance. Ask Scott about his cadenza during the first movement, he did something I've not heard done before!