Tommy Hearns hits his kid!!!!

Discussion in 'TM Lounge' started by Solar Bell, Jan 10, 2006.

1. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
  2. Eclipsehornplayer

Eclipsehornplayer Forte User

Sep 14, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    Yeah,

I'm with you Chuck. My sons were both warned long ago, if ever they think that they can take me woah to them. Even if they succeed I know where they sleep! :D

I am concerned with the direction the courts are taking on this issue. I have an ex back in Michigan with whom I have 3 children, greate kids I love dearly. We sadly, have spent much time in and out of the friend of the court in Wayne County trying to get visitation and custody isssues settled.

I had to testify for 2 1/2 hours and was nearly crucified for swatting my children with a paddle twice in their lifetimes! My children now are 15, 13, and 11. This happend when I they were like 12, 10, and 9 or so.

Because I had taken a hockey goalie stick and cut it down into a paddle my ex wife's attorney was trying to make a case for child abuse.

Hey here's an idea, let's just let our children run the world.

Ever see Children of the Corn? Hummmm... :-o

3. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Sidebar:

Detroit News strikes again!

It's CORPOREAL (relating to the body) punishment not corporal punishment.

That's a major mistake that's made in general having to do with private parts that has not a "colonel" of truth!

Back to the "news".

ML

4. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    This is an interesting topic, especially considering the following quote from the article:

"For some reason, Mrs. Hearns either fell or was pushed to a couch or bed and the son threw a punch at his father," Thomas said. "Hearns made some kind of a motion, maybe warding off the punch, and his son suffered a small cut on the side of his nose."

followed by:

"I know people differ on corporal punishment, but you can't allow a youth to be punched in the face, especially when one of the people punching is a professional boxer."

If my son EVER throws a punch at me, or worse, throws a punch at his mother, he will have opened the door to whatever might come out of it.

Hearns' kid must be some kind of galactic moron - I can't imagine what he thought he was going to accomplish with trying to punch his father, and he's lucky that all he got was a small cut on his nose, especially considering that it doesn't sound like Hearns actually punched him, but rather blocked the punch. What kind of stupid must you be as a 13 year old kid to throw a punch at a professional boxer? It's not like Tommy Hearns can't take a punch and the kid is lucky he wasn't flat out decked and knocked unconscious.

But back to the subject, I'm not a big fan of corporal punishment, but mainly because that's not really what works for my kids...for now. I have to hit them where it hurts - I do stuff like make them do extra chores, take away some household priviledges such as TV or Video Games, or I make them read or do extra homework or that kind of thing. But then again, my kids are still pretty obedient and rather than have them do or not do something out of a fear of possible pain from a belt or paddle, I would rather have them do or not do something because I have taught them between right and wrong and they have thought about the consequences of their actions.

This isn't to say that I think that corporal punishment doesn't have a place with certain kids, but I also think that it should be rarely and judiciously used, if used at all. I know that as a kid, I got the belt a time or two, and I certainly don't think that I'm scarred because of it - then again, there is a difference between punishing your kids, and beating your kids when it comes to corporal punishment.

5. Eclipsehornplayer

Eclipsehornplayer Forte User

Sep 14, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    Just to state my position more Clearly Patrick you and I think alike. I'm not an advocate for out and out thrashing your kids, but I do believe that a parent must maintain control using reasonable means.

6. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    ^^ Yep. I don't have to do much with my kids because due to the way they are, it just isn't necessary - yet! :lol: My oldest, my son, is only 11 right now, so I'm sure that there will come a challenge or two over the next 5 to 7 years.

7. brian moon

brian moon Forte User

I see that it wasn't his son who is a professional boxer. That would have made for an interesting tussle. Ol' Tommy probably wouldn't have made it off the couch.

8. tpter1

tpter1 Forte User

Jan 12, 2005
    Northern New York
    I have to agree with Pat on this one.

Although every child is different, so what works for one is not going to work with the others. My oldest boy responds best to being sent to his room and being grounded; my daughter responds best to loss of phone privelages; time-out still works for my youngest and the one in between responds best if he knows his bottom is going to get a quick firm swat.

None of them have ever raised a hand at either one of us. I don't believe they would. Violence tends to freak them out. They are all very polite kids, although I have had some defiant sounding "I AM going to..." to which I respond, "Umm...no, you are most definitely not" followed with the appropriate sentence.

9. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    I don't know - I think it would depend on who got in the first punch. There is a story that I once read about the late Jack Dempsey. When he was in his later years, he was pulled out of a NYC taxi by a couple of young thugs thinking that they were going to roll an old man. Old Man Dempsey knocked one out with a left, and the other with a right. :lol: Suffice it to say, I think that "Old Man" Hearns can probably still throw a punch.

10. gregc

gregc Mezzo Piano User

Apr 5, 2004
    New York, U.S. of A.
    They didn't nick him 'HIT MAN" fer nuttin'..........
    LQQks to me like a typical family squabble blown up due to Tom's celebrity status. I donno bout you, but I've had my fill of celebrity private matters thrown in my face by the media.