Tone and Slurs...Can you Help me Out??

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by jazztrpt006, Aug 30, 2008.

1. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Darthsunshine,
    transcribe MFs solos. You will discover that even 2 octaves lower, they still retain all of the energy and musical substance. We do not need to "emulate" Maynard to get inspired and can use his "templates" in our own playing.

2. Al Innella

Al Innella Forte User

Aug 9, 2007
    Levittown , NY
    I disagree ,listening can help a student get a concept of a trumpet sound why not a so called monster instead of the kid sitting two chairs away? When should you tell a student that hard work can`t help him ,some students are just late bloomers you must drop alot of kids, a teacher is supposed to encourge ,nurture talent not think no way today, most of started slowly and worked to get better,you never know what can develop.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2008
  3. Sofus

Sofus Forte User

Jul 26, 2008
    Dear jazztrpt006!

You ARE in the same boat as everyone else!!

If I should give only one advice, it would be this:
    do NOT use any variation in your air flow to make one note flip over to the next.
    The typical scenario is when one shifts from a high note to a low one by turning the air flow of. Dont do that! Instead, keep the air constantly flowing, and the right approach will come to you.

In many posts you´ve had the advice "to play through the notes". This is exactly what it is about, a constant, nonwobbling air flow.