tone dispair... please help

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by ltg_trumpet, Feb 20, 2009.

1. ltg_trumpet

ltg_trumpet Mezzo Piano User

Jan 21, 2009
    well... today in class as we were tuning my teacher pointed out that my tone was WAY to bright... it didnt "fit in".... the next chair trumpet played and his tone fit PERFECTLY into the first trumpets sound... to the point where you couldnt here him at all...
    i talked to my teacher after class (a percusionist mind you) and she said that my tone has gotten more bright since marching band, mainly because she thinks ive been trying to increase my range. she said to fix it i need to open up on low notes, as they become darker i should increase my range...
    theoretically it sounds great but will it really work, god im so confused and im tired of my fellow trumpet players hounding me, making fun of me and just plain tearing me down... what should i do?

2. bagmangood

bagmangood Forte User

I would talk to someone who really knows trumpet playing.
    A local professional would be best, but a local college or maybe even high school student can probably help you out figuring out whether there really is a problem or not.

3. SpiritDCI08

SpiritDCI08 Piano User

Feb 11, 2009
    Fort Campbell, KY
    Well...there are plenty of variables to this situation. What kind of piece are you playing on? Are you in tune? Is it your horn or just you? Is it possible your overblowing by accident and playing sharp?
    I suggest first tuning to a C, then make sure your G and low C are in or close to in tune (the low C might be a little off). Then do what I call "Discovering your horn".
    Play each note one by one, making sure each is in tune. If there are some that are off use alternate fingerings or lip it down.
    On my horn my high Cs are played using 2 & 3. My D flat is 2 & 3 also.
    My low G is 1 & 3.
    So really if it isn't you it's your horn. You play on a Yamaha and those are really good horns, but every horn is different.

So just take your time,
    Ask a professional instructor,

Cheers

4. ltg_trumpet

Jan 21, 2009
    first off i know there is a problem... EVERYONE has talked about it whether it be my old instructor or my new one... i dont know if it is my horn but i think it is, idk when i play in ensembles my tone is really off but when i do solos every body loves them and says my tone was spot on...
    i just dont get it...

5. tony h

tony h Pianissimo User

Feb 21, 2008
    Yes , it works play the low notes it doesn't happen over night it takes time and as for your class mates I'm sure their playing isn't as good as they would like to think it is , if they want to pick on you , know that you have at the least my support at TM and I'm sure a few others . Playing trumpet should be FUN ,FUN , FUN .

6. ltg_trumpet

Jan 21, 2009
    thanks tony... youve got a couple great points ther

7. SpiritDCI08

SpiritDCI08 Piano User

Feb 11, 2009
    Fort Campbell, KY
    maybe it's not you it's them
    does your band tune during warm up or are you on the honor system

8. ltg_trumpet

Jan 21, 2009
    i really just think its my style, they say its because my teeth arent open enough, however, when i try to open more i end up with raspiness, by your question spirit im not sure what you mean by honor system, however, we tune after warm ups and before we work on the ensemble peices.

9. SpiritDCI08

SpiritDCI08 Piano User

Feb 11, 2009
    Fort Campbell, KY
    Okay. So you tune as a ensemble.
    The honor system is that the director trusts you to tune yourself so you don't have to spend rehersal time.
    Yeah, try a differenty mouthpiece. May I recommend a Yamaha 4B, that will lowers your tone.
    After that I really don't know anything more you can do.

Best Regards,

10. ltg_trumpet

Jan 21, 2009
    thanks